Lachenal Edeophone 56-key treble

Stephen Chambers

Wheatstone concertinas, and Æolas, have come and gone, but I've kept this Lachenal Edeophone 56-key treble(#49225, made in 1909) for half a century - only now a beautiful amboyna-wood Edeophone (my dream concertina!) has come my way, and I don't need two of them.

I found my old one in London's Portobello Road Antiques Market, and I had it restored, including tuning and a new bellows, at H. Crabb's on Liverpool Road, Islington.

It's playing well, and the only blemish is thumb wear, and a crack in the right-hand end where the thumb strap is attached (if you're not careful with them, Edeophones - Lachenal's artistic/professional model - can easily roll off a table!) - but that has never given any trouble, in all the years that I've had it.

With original leather case.

Price €2,500

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0091.jpg

Photo0092.jpg

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0093.jpg

Photo0094.jpg

35 minutes ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Pictures  are  a bit  dark  Stephen.  A  report  on its  playability  would  be  nice.  Hope all  is  well with you,

Geoff.

I'll have to get a new camera then Geoff (the old one got left on the car roof, and was never seen again), and my phone camera isn't much good at close-ups - whilst the daylight here has been abysmal this week.

It gets played regularly, no problems.