Pearloid Wheatsone!

spindizzy

The description says:

This is one of those lovely 1950s rarities - a Wheatstone 36 key treble English concertina.  This one is made in grey pearloid and is in great condition.  It has only just come in and I have done nothing to it but it all plays - one note is a little 'squeaky' - and it appears in tune with itself.  It has proper bellows, unlike many of the cheaper variants today.  It comes in its original 'tweed' box with a tutor for Anglo concertina.

An English concertina with a tutor for an Anglo :huh: :o :unsure: ??

That's a rarity indeed!

The description says:
This is one of those lovely 1950s rarities - a Wheatstone 36 key treble English concertina ... in grey pearloid ... It comes in its original 'tweed' box with a tutor for Anglo concertina.

I've only seen one other MayFair in pearloid, which I bought at the Camden Passage antiques market in Islington, London, about twenty years ago.

An English concertina with a tutor for an Anglo  :huh:  :o :unsure: ??

That's a rarity indeed!

Even more of a rarity would be if the purchaser managed to play anything with that combination. :huh:

I bet the concertina is virtually "unused" ! :rolleyes:

The Manley Clog Dancers of Cheshire,England have in their possession a green perloid 30 key Wheatstone Linota which apart from its finish is a superb instrument to play.In its prime this team featured 7 anglo concertina players, a bass and a side drum.I was one of the seven and still play for the them occasionally,although they are not very active.

The Manley Clog Dancers of Cheshire,England have in their possession a green perloid 30 key Wheatstone Linota which apart from its finish is a superb instrument to play.

WOW ! :blink:

That sounds like something I should have, to go with my Irish-American rhinestone & shamrock-bedecked Baldoni, Bartoli single-row box. :rolleyes:

Any idea of the age/serial number of it Mark ?

I probably will not be able to see the concertina until practices start in October.I understand it was acquired secondhand from Wheatstone's in the 1950's for £10.The action board is painted red,which may indicate that at some stage it has been to South Africa as I've seen a number of SA sourced instruments with that feature.See you in Crotty's on Thursday.

Regards

Mark

I recall seeing a perloid Lachenal on Chris Algar's stand a few years ago.

It was a tenor-treble Edeophone, in cream perloid with green buttons.

What was interesting was that it had the name "Ross's Musical Parlours, Glasgow" on it.

Ross was a concertina dealer and teacher in Glasgow in the 1930s, so presumably commissioned this instrument for local sale.

Many of the accordions of that period used the same cream perloid.

I recall seeing a perloid Lachenal on Chris Algar's stand a few years ago.

It was a tenor-treble Edeophone, in cream perloid with green buttons.

What was interesting was that it had the name "Ross's Musical Parlours, Glasgow" on it.

Ross was a concertina dealer and teacher in Glasgow in the 1930s, so presumably commissioned this instrument for local sale.

Many of the accordions of that period used the same cream perloid.

There's a photograph of one on the www.concertinaconnection.com website.

edeo_iveroid.JPG

And there is a photo of the label of one, reading "The New Edeophone, Principal A. M. Ross, 499, Maryhill Road, Glasgow" in this post of Wes Williams'.

Another "modern" Lachenal model in celluloid, made around the same time, was the "Accordeaphone", an example of which is owned by Chis Timson, who has written about it in his Concertina FAQ.

accphone1.jpg

But I have never seen, or heard of, an Anglo in celluloid (especially a Wheatstone !) And even better, it's green ! ;)