Jones? Help!

John Sylte

Hi everyone. I bought this after thinking about it for less than sixty seconds. I have a problem! It needs lots of work but it’s complete and in sound condition. Can someone help me identify the maker? Riveted action. No serial number. No maker stamp. Thanks!

IMG_8967.jpeg

IMG_8973.jpeg

IMG_8968.jpeg

I have a 26 key Jeffries which has very similar (but not identical) wooden ended fretwork.  Mine has a C Jeffries stamp on the veneer on the RHS.  I wouldn't rule Jeffries out without further examination.

I can send you some pictures of mine if that helps

Alex West

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

It's a John Crabb, unless it was made for Jeffries and stamped "C. Jeffries, Maker". Geoff Crabb has mentioned having the template for that fretwork.

Either way, they sound lovely.

That would be logical, Stephen.  Any clue as to date?  I agree about the lovely sound.  Mine's a CG and it's full, rich and ringing.  Mine has a different but similarly awkward lever arrangement for the lowest LHS button...

Alex West

4 hours ago, Alex West said:

I have a 26 key Jeffries which has very similar (but not identical) wooden ended fretwork.  Mine has a C Jeffries stamp on the veneer on the RHS.  I wouldn't rule Jeffries out without further examination.

I can send you some pictures of mine if that helps

Alex West

Hi Alex, I would love to see some pictures for comparison. I'm trying to decide if I should fix this up, or sell as is. I don't really need another concertina, but I've never owned a Crabb either. Maybe I do? Another action pic attached…

IMG_8971.jpeg