Goderich Celtic College

Goderich (Ontario) Celtic College was another huge success. There were over 60 instructors, many of whom were from groups performing at the weekend festival. There were three concertina classes, taught by myself and with the assistance of a very talented young concertina marvel, Asher Perkins. This was, without a doubt, the best year for the College and the concertina classes in the past 10 years. The weather was great, if maybe a touch too warm on a couple of days. As usual, the only problem was the students finding time to practise, what with up to 6 hours of classes, free nightly concerts, ceili and set dancing, and as many as 6 different sessions per night. I'm getting a bit too old to be getting to bed at 2 AM each night, and the alarm going off at 7:30, in time for the first class at 9:00!

I'll agree with Frank, it was a great - but exhausting - week. I attended one of Frank's classes and had a blast. Thanks for the well thought out class Frank, it was a pleasure to get to chat with you again.

The English concertina classes with Matt Heumann were fun too - I must learn to sight read though.

Brian McNeill was there and had some impressive performances on a beautiful Aeola tenor-treble.

The standard of musicianship was quite stunning with performances from the likes of Nancy Kerr and James Fagen, Crucible, Anna Massey and Sean Keane.

All in all a magical week.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a very fun musical experience. I got a chance to meet Frank Edgley.

Scrutinized by the Canadian Customs guy (very cute so it was okay). He asked who I knew in Canada and I said Frank Edgley. Then I said well I didn't really know him, he made my concertina. Then I said I didn't know him at all. I was terrified that he was going to make me play my concertina. But I was safe as I said that I also had a piano accordion and we know people don't voluntarily ask for recitals on the piano accordion.

I took foot percussion (made more complicated because I was waiting for orthotics which hadn't been completely made yet, so I didn't use my left, dominant foot, at all). I also took ensemble with the bohola band, intending to just sit in but they recognized me and made me play.

And two piano accordion classes.

Tons and tons of different classes, all in the high school. So once you were there, you were set for the day. You could buy lunch right on the premises. Concerts at night.

A very fun time. I'll go back. And maybe even take concertina!

Okay, Rhomylly, YOU can have an impromptu accordion recital.

I think my acc teacher dropped me. I had to miss several lessons because I was out of town. And then our audit at work went an extra week. Scarey, but we did great on the audit.

Anyway, Jimmy Keane of bohola says not to have a teacher. Just go to sessions and listen. And by George, he did teach me to play by ear. Shh don't tell anyone.

Helen

Awww, thank you Helen. I look forward to it!

Funny you should mention teachers. I just signed up for a beginner's guitar class which, since I work for the university that is offering it for college credit, won't cost me anything. 2 hours one night a week.

Having not had an instrument teacher since my 8-year-old piano lesson days, I am rather looking forward to it.

I wonder, though, how much of the teacher's personal style I will pick up? Maybe that's why bohola said no teacher?

Bohola, Jimmy, feels you can pick it up by going to sessions and listening.

And it's cheaper.

I'm dithering. I practice more when I have a teacher. But he drives me nuts. And it would be cheaper not to go. But maybe I'll learn something that I won't learn if I stop.

Aw heck.