Wheatstone 56 key metal-ended tenor-treble Aeola..lowered price

Sandy Winters

Looking to sell my 1923 metal ended tenor-treble Aeola that I purchased from user "Joey Morrow" last April. The instrument clearly had some issues at that time but for the price I decided to take a chance on it. When I received it I found that there were many more issues than I originally was aware of but that's OK because I knew I was taking a chance.

The main problem was that there were 15 notes/reeds that were so far out of tune that they were essentially beyond repair. After several phone calls with Wim Wakker and Steve Dickenson (they were both familiar with this particular concertina) I managed to convince Steve to let me send him the offending reed assemblies to have them repaired/replaced. He did a fantastic job. He was able to re-tune a few of the reeds, re-tongued several of them, and replaced the complete reed assembly (reeds w/ new shoes) for several of them. All notes are speaking now.

I replaced the chamois gaskets on both ends including the bellows ends (chamois came from Wim). The sound board has a few tight cracks that have been repaired and I notice no evidence of leaks. The bellows seem to be airtight tho the instrument fails the one handed gravity test because there are a few leaky reeds (making the response not quite as crisp as it should be).

However, it is now playing well.  It is not good enough for professional recording but it is certainly good enough for session playing. What it really needs now is refurbishing....new pads, valves, springs, action and tuning. I've spoken to Bob Snope and he would be willing to do the work.

I generally like this instrument. It is perfect for me as a 'players' instrument. Cosmetically it is a bit rough and as such it is not a canditate for full resoration.

BUT......it is much heavier than I am used to and larger as well. The extra 8 reed assemblies are all low notes and considerably larger (and heavier) than any other reed on a treble instrument. I just don't want to spend any more money or effort on an instrument that I'm just not physically happy with.

Comes with a really nice original case that I bought from forum member Mike from Oban. (cost me $300 with shipping)

Asking $2000, with the case but I will consider any reasonable offers. 

Here is a video shot today 9-2-23 

aeola(4).thumb.JPG.2988d685066a44268231fde2bb8f6fc1.JPG

aeola (6).JPG

aeola (9).JPG

Edited by Sandy Winters
lowered price add video link

• Sandy Winters changed the title to Wheatstone 56 key metal-ended tenor-treble Aeola..lowered price

Great playing 🙂 Thanks ☺️

Hi Sandy, I am interested in your tenor treble Aeola and don't wish to offend you, but I need to have a few questions answered first...  You have not responded to my emails which raises red flags.  15 reeds were completely destroyed?  What about the others?  Metal ends appear to be corroded so I need to know how much moisture damage there is to the wood, warping, cracks, reed rust, deterioration, etc.?

Please provide some photos (with a flash) of both ends of the inside showing cracks... and also a couple more of the outside...  I am very curious to how the metal fret work got a piece cut out?

I am very sorry that you have lost time and money on this instrument.  I went through the same experience when I first started out and still have two instruments that are exceptional but I have almost double into them, compared to what I could get out.  I was sorely used and had to separate myself from a few concertina people as a result.  It really turned me off and I nearly quit the concertina as a result.  I will give you a fair or above fair price as I want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

You said "Asking $2000, with the case but I will consider any reasonable offers.'  I am very interested as I am searching for another TT Aeola to restore but I need to know exactly what it is I will be getting.  The full current price for a good sounding and playing refurbished ME TT Aeola is about £3750 or $4700 USD.  60% of the value is in the reeds so I especially need to know their condition.  A severely warped and cracked unrestored instrument with air problems, butchered reeds and botched cut up fret work may be sadly only salvageable for parts.  Please help me determine where, between these two extremes, 27792 is so I can make you a reasonable offer.

PS. The Ledgers date 27792 to May 14, 1918

Edited by 4to5to6
For clarity