Joe Bane & Bill Malley Polkas.

Joe Bane & Bill Malley Polkas.
Two East Clare Polkas learned from the playing of Mary MacNamara.
Played on Hammered Dulcimer, English Concertina, Fiddle, Tenor Banjo & Bodhran.
Lockdown Video #630

Cheers,

Dick

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Neat!

Is this a coincidence (from yesterday)? Same two tunes.

Ah, that video popped up on my facebook page this morning so I had a go at them this afternoon. Great wee tunes.

1 hour ago, Ptarmigan said:

Ah, that video popped up on my facebook page this morning so I had a go at them this afternoon. Great wee tunes.

Oh, so it’s you playing all the instruments. All this time I’ve been misinterpreting. Nice work.

The A section of Joe Bane (which I never heard before hearing Doug’s video) sounds a lot like an American tune by Dudley Laufman from the early 1970s, “Mistwold.” The B section is completely different, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is where Dudley (probably unconsciously) got it from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Oh, so it’s you playing all the instruments. All this time I’ve been misinterpreting. Nice work.

The A section of Joe Bane (which I never heard before hearing Doug’s video) sounds a lot like an American tune by Dudley Laufman from the early 1970s, “Mistwold.” The B section is completely different, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is where Dudley (probably unconsciously) got it from.

Well, that's all part of the living tradition. After all, quite a few of the Kerry Polkas are actually adapted & reinterpreted Scottish tunes. ... As Oscar Wilde wrote: “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. 😄

On 7/25/2023 at 5:56 AM, Ptarmigan said:

After all, quite a few of the Kerry Polkas are actually adapted & reinterpreted Scottish tunes. 

I originally learned these from Jackie Daly when we were playing for the sets in Gleeson's of Coore. Jackie in turn got them from Andrew McNamara, who in turn had them from Bane and Malley.

There was always a bit of banter from some people when Jackie was playing his Kerry tunes, along the lines of him importing 'foreign' tunes into West Clare. As an antidote he played these and always stressed, tongue in cheek,  they were 'Clare polkas'.

While these aren't Kerry polkas, Joe Bane did have a surprising number of tunes that originated in Scotland, albeit slightly mangled and processed through his own musical mind. I always wondered where he picked up all of those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Laban said:

While these aren't Kerry polkas, Joe Bane did have a surprising number of tunes that originated in Scotland, albeit slightly mangled and processed through his own musical mind. I always wondered where he picked up all of those.

There's a tradition of lots of Scottish tunes being played up here in the Glens of Antrim & when I asked locals about that they explained that the reception for RTE Radio was hopeless in the Glens, but Scottish Radio came in as clear as a bell & historically this was where they picked up most of their new tunes. 😀