Bandoneon?

Hi Folks,

I'm a music teacher at a music school here in my town and since I'm playing quite a few instruments, the school always asks me if I can teach people when we get requests about instruments that are a bit unusual. I just got asked if I can teach Bandoneon. Well, I can't but told the lady I could teach her English Concertina, if she is a beginner and she is. I thought I could lure her to the EC but it turns out she already has an instrument. So my question is, what instrument pictured she has? If you need additional pictures, that can be arranged. 

Thanks for looking!

/Pär

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hallo, Pär!

It could be that there is some misunderstanding here. The photos show a German Konzertina - whether it's a Carlsfelder or a Chemnitzer is hard to say without knowing the button layout. The lady probably asked for Bandneon lessons because she thought that her instrument is a Bandoneon - to the untrained eye, Chemnitzer, Carlsfelder and Bandoneon look very much alike, and are often confused with each other.

So teaching her the English concertina would not help her very much. However, some basic lessons on a 20-button Anglo, or even a small German concertina would get her started on the road. These bisonioric concertinas all have the same 20-button core consisting of two Richter scales a fifth apart, e.g. C/G (typical Anglo) or A/E (typical Bandoneon). Once you've mastered this, you can start exploring the other buttons outside the "core." Itworked for me!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John

Thanks guys!

I did suspect that it could be a Chemnitzer.

My thought was initially to try to get the lady to start playing EC, but since she already have a Chemnitzer, I guess it might be difficult to convince her to get an English Concertina...

We will meet up on Wednesday to she what to do. She has never played an instrument before so I guess I could still help her get started, even if I don't play the instrument myself.

Or maybe I just start learning myself. I do love buying new istruments... 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pär said:

Thanks guys!

I did suspect that it could be a Chemnitzer.

My thought was initially to try to get the lady to start playing EC, but since she already have a Chemnitzer, I guess it might be difficult to convince her to get an English Concertina...

We will meet up on Wednesday to she what to do. She has never played an instrument before so I guess I could still help her get started, even if I don't play the instrument myself.

Or maybe I just start learning myself. I do love buying new istruments... 🙂

I suspect that it's a Carlsfelder rather than a Chemnitzer, but we'd need a picture of the buttons on the other side to know for sure.

Thanks!

So, I'm new to all this. What is the difference between a Bandoneon, a Chemnitzer and a Carlsfelder? In case someone has a quick and easy answer. I will do some research myself.

1 hour ago, Pär said:

Thanks!

So, I'm new to all this. What is the difference between a Bandoneon, a Chemnitzer and a Carlsfelder? In case someone has a quick and easy answer. I will do some research myself.

You have a Carlsfelder - I can tell because it has three long rows of buttons on each side, unlike a bandonion or Chemnitzer.  The three systems have different button layouts.  This may be helpful: https://www.bandonionverein-carlsfeld.de/index.php/2-uncategorised/22-heinrich-band .  Take a look at this too: https://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-wuerzburg.de/musikinstrumente/organologie/doku/konzertina/ .

Edited by Daniel Hersh