Lachenal Reed assembly (C#5/position 1a)

wschruba

Looking for someone who either has/can point me to where to source the above.  The instrument that I bought for restoration is missing the above reed assembly from the right side.

Figured I would post this while I'm waiting for my glue pot to heat up.

A good source for thumbscrews or end screws would be good too, but less pressing as I begin the repair work.

The size of Lachenal reeds are not standardized. I have a good collection of spares myself, and if I line up a few reeds of any one note, some are big and some are small and some are in between. So, a randomly chosen replacement may not fit your reed pan. You may need to pick another one of your reeds (adjacent D or C?) that fits well in the empty slot, and be prepared to send that to whomever you contact for a C# replacement. Just a heads up. I wouldn't mind sending you a C#, but it is likely out of tune. And, I'm not sure what you mean by thumb screws? The brass hand strap screws?

2 hours ago, John Sylte said:

The size of Lachenal reeds are not standardized. I have a good collection of spares myself, and if I line up a few reeds of any one note, some are big and some are small and some are in between. So, a randomly chosen replacement may not fit your reed pan. You may need to pick another one of your reeds (adjacent D or C?) that fits well in the empty slot, and be prepared to send that to whomever you contact for a C# replacement. Just a heads up. I wouldn't mind sending you a C#, but it is likely out of tune. And, I'm not sure what you mean by thumb screws? The brass hand strap screws?

I'll send you a message, thanks!

And yes, the screws in question are the screws that fasten the adjustment of the hand straps, not the ones that anchor them; I may wind up using a not-Lachenal part there, since at some point in the history of the instrument, the one clearly must have broke, and they could not source a replacement--there is a small brass plate that is inlaid into the body of the instrument, with a larger thread/regular countersunk screw holding it on.