Looking for Concertina Purchase Advice

Hi there. I am new to the concertina though I play various other instruments. I am involved in folk sessions in Southwest England and I am looking to buy a CG Anglo, preferably 30 key. I've been stung a couple of times trying to buy cheap vintage 20-key models from Ebay which invariably arrive in a defective condition. I am now biting the bullet and want to spend something in the region of £400-£500 for a new or refurbished instrument. I am visiting a shop in Bristol at the weekend which stocks Stagis, Scarlattis, Hohners, and Sherwood Kirklees in that price range, and online I can get new Trinity College models or even a 'Gear for Music' instrument. I know the latter will be Chinese-made but I bought a GfM fretless acoustic bass guitar cheap recently and it's surprisingly good. However, I recognise that the mechanics of the concertina possibly mean this is not relevant. Can someone give me some advice on which makes might produce reliable instruments with a decent tone in this kind of price range? I might upgrade properly in the future if I get good on the thing...

Edited by Simon R

As you are in that part of the country, you should contact the West Country Concertina Players. Full contact details here:

https://thewccp.org/

You have just missed their Autumn residential weekend at Quantock Lodge., but they have regular meetings during the year. Those you would meet there can give "hands on " advice on choosing and buying a concertina.

Reputable dealer Barleycorn concertinas would have been represented at that weekend. You can check their website at barleycorn@concertina.co.uk, or phone 01270 879958

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of concertinas, firstly! You will no doubt get a lot of advice from everyone on here.

I play my ( one and only) 30 key (Honer branded.  Italian made) concertina ( steel accordion reeds.. Stagi seem to still be making them as far as I can see.

I am happy with mine and they retail at a few hundred pounds these days ( more than I pad for mine in 1999)!

They can take bit to work in ( if need) .. but I have had my own over 23 plus years, and I personally like the strong tone of sound it makes!

I have, and still will, make adjustments after use over that time... But everyone needs a  bit of attention now and again!

Just my view.. if you are brave you can see my own Anglo in use on this net. ( Or my YouTube channel under Simon Gabrielow ..But I do not play traditionally!

There's some clever folk on here that will add their own advice too..

Best of luck with your search!

• Like 1

Thanks Simon. I'll have a play with some of the Stagis at the shop I am visiting at the weekend and see how they feel. It is useful to hear someone saying they are still happy with a relatively inexpensive instrument. More recent Chinese Hohners have taken a bit of a knocking in online reviews I've read. My choice is how much to spend on a first instrument when I don't know how well I'm going to be able to play it. 

Loved 'An Evening in October' btw...

42 minutes ago, Simon R said:

My choice is how much to spend on a first instrument when I don't know how well I'm going to be able to play it. 

There's a theory here on CNet that

1. You should learn on the best instrument you can afford (applies to most instruments, not only concertinas)

2. Buy cheap = buy twice (In your case, most probable, since you already play other instruments)

3. Vintage concertinas in good condition may be more expensive, but should you have to sell for any reason (including inability to learn to play), you can get most of your money back.

I played a metal-ended, 30-button Stagi Anglo in my group for almost 20 years, and was very satisfied with the tone and the tuning. (Admittedly I had to replace the bellows, but this boosted the quality of te instrument t the extent that I never thought about upgrading.) Now that I'm solo, however, I need an Anglo with more power and "character," so I got a vintage Dallas/Crabb, which I'm very pleased with.

To each his own way!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1