Buying Advice?

Hi there,

hope you all are well; my name is Jens Kommnick (Northern Germany) (www.jenskommnick.de or www.iontach.de), I love Irish Music and I'm a Newbie here. Thanks to everybody who puts so much effort in this informative site

I would like to surprise my wife Siobhán with an Anglo Concertina (at the moment she is listening to Tim Collins' CD all the time...), but I don't know much about it (even though I learned a wee bit while searching this lovely website...).

Unfortunately I can't invest much more than 1500 EURO; is there something you would recommend? Is it possible to find reasonable quality in new instruments (Hobgoblin?) or should I try the (dangerous?) second hand market?

Thanks so much for your help and advice :)

Jens

Edited by Jens

Jens,

For that budget there are several choices that I like. On your side of the Atlantic you should check Geuns-Wakker in the Netherlands and Norman in the U.K. The exchange rate is in your favor if you want to look at makes from North America as well (try Edgley, Morse, Tedrow). The Buyer's Guide has contact info, as does the fine Concertina faq by Chris Timson.

Wilkommen!

Ken

I know this is probably not the reply you want to hear, but I must strongly recommend that you don't surprise your wife with an anglo.

The choice of a concertina is a very individual thing, so what I suggest you do is to tell your wife that you will buy her a concertina once she has chosen the one she wants. Not so much fun, I know, but much, much safer. You wouldn't want her to be disappointed in it, would you?

From the Concertina FAQ:-

Concertina Contact Germany      Organises an annual meeting for

Mario Kliemann                          concertina players (English and

Am Bach 17                                anglo) on the second weekend in

D-33602 Bielefeld                      May in Bielefeld.

Phone +49521 170536

I know you've just missed the event, but if you talk to Concertina Contact Germany I'm sure they will be able to point you and your wife in the direction of other German players and German events where she might try out some concertinas.

Best of luck,

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for your feedback; don't worry: my wife already has a loan of an Anglo Concertina, which she needs to give back soon; so there's no "danger" of choosing the wrong system; but thanks for thinking :)

Jens

Well, in that case Ken's advice is good, and 1500 euros is about right for buying a decent new anglo from Marcus or Norman, or a decent old one from Chris Algar. Ishould still talk to Concertina Contact, though.

Chris