New bellows Anglo Lachenal

Why are you thinking of replacing the bellows?

Is it worn out, or a bit grimy, or are there holes in it, or does it not have enough folds for you style of playing?

A leaky or floppy bellows on an Anglo prevents the reeds and action (not to mention the player) from  achieving their original potential.

For me, a good vintage pair of ends and set of reeds will sound best with a bellows that comes close to the original when it was new, and just played in.

I had a new bellows fitted to my Anglo many years ago. I ordered it from Wim Wacker of Concertina Connection, when the company was still on this side of the Pond, in the Netherlands. With Wacker's bellows, it was twice the instrument it originally was. Mind you, it was a Stagi! But replacing the so-la-la Stagi bellows with a good hand-made one showed the potential that was in the Stagi reeds.

Cheers,

John

Certain items in a concertina's build are what engineers call 'consumable' items, they have a life and are then replaced when life is expired. Like tyres on a car, fundamental to performance but can be changed when worn out or if driving conditions/ expectations change. Valves, pads are the obvious concertina items, but so are springs, and yes, bellows. All are throw away items.

The trick is to get bellows of the appropriate standard for the instrument and your own playing needs; and to decide what 'enhancements' you may want to incorporate. A Four or Five folds to upgrade to say six folds?  Get the bellows  made and fitted by someone who knows the difference in the requirements for Anglos versus English instruments and knows what leather to use. 

However there are options to consider before the expense of new bellows, if the issue is just wear around the points of the folds then re-binding may be a sensible option to buy a few years. Wear in the gussets can be repaired internally. Internal hinges that split can lead to almost irreparable damage, but if caught early enough can fixed with (sticky) ease. External valley leather hinges are not good to repair and are usually a good indicator that the leather has 'gone home'. Collapsed bellows corners resulting from delaminated card, perished, contaminated and powdery leather all leave no real repair options. Certainly none with any confidence of longevity especially with constant play in mind.

As John says, it's the ends and reeds that make the instrument. bellows can can only spoil or enhance it - cosmetically and in performance so thus maximising or detracting from value. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Revrak said:

I’m already going to replace the ends and pads. One end is badly damaged. I just wondered if the original bellows were worth preserving. The reeds, steel, seem good. 
thanks for the replies

If one end is knackered beyond repair and needs to be replaced, you should have no qualms about replacing anything else that's in a poor state. Better a fully rebuilt instrument with all parts in top condition than one with some new parts and some worn out.

9 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

If one end is knackered beyond repair and needs to be replaced, you should have no qualms about replacing anything else that's in a poor state. Better a fully rebuilt instrument with all parts in top condition than one with some new parts and some worn out.

Fair comment. I can’t see any leaks in the bellows, so I’ll see how it goes after valve and pad replacement