Concertina On New Bbc2 Ident

Thanks for the link, Howard. Ellen did see it and said that it was clearly a melodeon but I thought that the combination of thinking about getting round to doing some GCSE revision and watching television on the sly had completely addled her brain. She said it was delightful though, and so it is .........

Jill

.......nine fold bellows on the duet concertina....... Unusual ?  And surely a duet not an anglo.

No, it must be a German concertina as the handstraps are parallel with the sides, not at 90º to them like an Anglo or duet, and it's blue in colour, which you do get on new German concertinas. It looks like one of the large models, which often have two sets of reeds in the treble, and three in the bass, so it could sound similar to a melodeon. ;)

On the other hand, it sounds like they are performing a stick dance, but the animation shows them dancing with handkerchiefs ! :blink: :rolleyes:

According to the guy who helped make the video the instrument being played is an Erica melodeon and the sound of the dancing is the same guy dancing around in a sound studio. (From the Morris Dance Discussion List)

According to the guy who helped make the video the instrument being played is an Erica melodeon ...

Ah, truth to tell, it certainly sounds like a Hohner melodeon, though I couldn't say if it was a Pokerwork or an Erica. I was only trying to make excuses for the Beeb, hence my winking smilie (though I still think the instrument looks just like a large German concertina).

... and the sound of the dancing is the same guy dancing around in a sound studio. (From the Morris Dance Discussion List)

Well it certainly sounds like somebody is banging some sticks together, not forgetting a drum ...

Maybe they're very percussive hankies ? :blink: