Playing Crossrow

Leon,

Take a look at the Simon Wells tutorial:" A Supplementary Anglo Concertina Tutor, by Simon Wells" in the cnet. learning section. Simon gives a lot of advice worth considering including a section on cross rowing. I will point out that bellow direction changes can also work in favor of the music.

Attending a Noel Hill camp is a great way to learn cross row fingering along with Noel's "system" that offers a very practical approach to the anglo and Irish music.

Enjoy the adventure!

Greg

As usual, ask 4 people and you will get 4 different theories on how to cross finger scales.

I suppose you have to learn one method well before you can branch out and try some more. Different tunes often demand different fingering approaches so you may need more than one method under your fingers.

As usual, ask 4 people and you will get 4 different theories on how to cross finger scales.

My own point of view -- call it a "theory" if you like -- is that there's more to music than scales, and even the same sequence of notes can be played differently at different points in a single tune, as long as the intrument supports it.

I suppose you have to learn one method well before you can branch out and try some more. Different tunes often demand different fingering approaches so you may need more than one method under your fingers.

My philosophy -- or "approach" or "method" -- is, "Notes are where you find them." Seems to me that all other approaches are merely restrictions on that.

Leon, including information about where you are in your profile would enable people to make more helpful seggestions, offer events or sessions, or to meet near you, perhaps ...

In the meanwhile, I found "The Irish Concertina: A Tutor for the Anglo Concertina in the Irish Style", by Mick Bramich to be invaluable in opening my eyes to cross-row playing (and I don't particularly play "Irish"). You'll find more information about it on the learning page of concertina.net. I started off with Bertram Levy's book, "The Anglo Concertina Demystified", which I also found very useful.

And finally, I second what Jim says - the notes are where you find them. Make a chart of your instrument if one wasn't provided with it, and study it. Look at where the duplications are, which buttons are a reverse of each other etc. I colour coded a few buttons (on the chart) in my early days which helped me to get a feel of which alternative fingerings are available ...

Have fun!

Samantha

To me, playing crossrow seems natural. I came to the concertina fresh, without the baggage of a melodeon or anything else, or even much musical knowledge. Just a very strong desire to join in at local folkie nights. I started with a 2-row CG, but very quickly decided it was too limiting. Even then, having learnt a couple of tunes in C, I found it easier to stay there for the majority of G, just dropping down for F#'s when needed. I purchsed a 3-row Lachenal (Hey Theo!, I've still got it) at Whitby and still kept mainly to the C row, but now I'm going all over the rows to get the #'s and b's, or even just the A/G key to keep the bellows sincere. As a result, I'm now playing tunes in D and F (*) as well as C and G, impossible without going crossrow. To me, just going up and down the rows in inconceivable, even in C. As far as fingering is concerned, I just find the notes I need to play and press them. Somtimes its difficult and I look for another sequence, but usually, I get there. Pick yourself a tune that not C/G (if that's your instrument) and try it.

Gerry.

(*) Well I think its F, it uses B as well as Bb, so it might be some weird mode or something (Its "Lift the Wings" from Riverdance).