Services Calling: Tea for Two; etc. (WWII transcription discs)

Services Calling: Tea for Two; etc. (WWII transcription discs)

Starting at around 21:29

The harp is leading here, but do I detect a bit of English Concertina in the background, which is neither the billed star accordionist nor harmonicists?  The latter does double for drums, but hmm, I wonder who’d be playing the tini in there (?)

It adds a real nice sweet touch to augment an already marvellous wee concert

I don’t think it’s a different kind of button-box; tho it doesn’t matter – it’s an absolutely lovely piece at a difficult time (on my actual wav/raw file you can actually hear geese in the background at a point I think enjoying the music too).  It has some great musicians from around the world with Dutch roots

I was thoroughly enjoying this 3-disc treat anyway, and then even more so when it seems like my Granddad and dropped by to do a little vamping in the background for the next few numbers.  It’s a long shot, but it does sound like him, and he was stationed not greatly far away from this base; entertaining troops and locals in nearby counties or vicinity.  Apparently he was a real hit - and him and acquaintances made some easy money too doing requests and so forth (he played and others went round with the bonnet/cap collecting handsomely, I think), but narrowly escaping a court marshal if it weren’t for the superior’s approval of music, I can’t quite remember the exactitudes of all the wee stories...

There is a memoirs book about the base that could shed more clues about life there.  It was a British base that the Royal Netherlands Brigade took over.

-

As I listen again, I think the accordionist has possibly retreated to the background away from mikes and harmonising with the non-piano side of the accordion, albeit there’s single notes too (but whicjh might have been a voicing switch change on the instrument so that it changes the sound/voicing of the singular notes), hence me thinking it sounds a bit like a concertina.  I’m not even a novice on the Acoordion, so cannot say!  Anyone else will know better – it would be great to hear some verification or thoughts on that background reed instrument not taking such a lead for the last couple of so songs as the concert draws to a finish.

ps If anyone can identify the preceding and lovely French ballad that'd be brill!

I've had another listen to this and think there is slim likelihood of concertina, unless it's separately background vamping at times.  I think I'm imagining this and wonder if I should delete this post - It's probable that it is a rehearsed accordionist or even other button box player in the background if not the main accordionist switching voicing and volume controls etc.

If I delete in due course soon - it's because of uncertainty and so on.  I believe this particular forum topic should always have concertina at the very least (and I don't think there's enough info to verify here!  so sorry for posting and needing probably to delete).

ps It's funny that in my a recent previous post, the concertina sound similarities (in pre-war bands/orchestras) was the very least also being discussed.  No worries anyway!

I've had a listen to the wav file and it's definitely much more concertina (and English Concertina sounding too) than any other kind of reed/bellows instrument.

Apologies it's so much in the background and of mp3 quality for the time being!

[edit: Forget it being my granddad, it seems too rehearsed for the set, but that said there was quite a population of musicians at this time in tune with each other...]

Edited by kevin toner

The chording beginning at around 22.04 sounds to my ear more like harmonica (sometimes known as mouth organ) than 'tina. It's both the style of the playing [chord twice, pause, then same again] and the timbre that seems characteristic of harmonica. Then I do hear concertina [English? I think] beginning shortly thereafter altho' it might could be harmonica.

• Like 1