Question About G/d Anglo

Ashkettle

I know there are a few of you out there who play a G/D Anglo. I'm expecting to get one soon (to add to my addiction) and have a question about it...

When you play C/G, I realize that many (including myself) play mostly across the rows. With G/D, do you do the same? Or do you find yourself playing "in the rows" more?

Anyone want to enlighten me?

When you play C/G, I realize that many (including myself) play mostly across the rows.  With G/D, do you do the same?  Or do you find yourself playing "in the rows" more?

When playing G, I play up the G row for three buttons, i.e. up to C/D, then cross to the D row E/F# and carry on up from there. When playing D I start on the G row, playing up to the second button A/B, then cross to the D row first button and carry on up. I believe this is pretty common among English (i.e. South British) G/D players.

Chris

I play in almost triangular patterns, but unless you use my particular layout (something I don't recommend if you are already used to another, and probably isn't wise if you want to consider anyone else using your instrument), that won't help.

Regards,

--Dave

I definately prefer to play on th D/G, as I prefer the lower pitch.

I think that I do more ar less what Chris has said above, but I start with the basis of playing in octaves, so I'm getting a deeper sound altogether.

Any fingers left over, on either hand, are available for chords!

Robin Madge

I mostly play a D/G instrument and I choose which row to use by which accompanying chord I need. If it's G, D and C and Am for a tune in G I tend to stay in the G row except for D's on the 3rd row when needed. I have a D on the pull below G which also helps to keep the melody on the right. But if Em is need then I cross to the D row. For tunes in D I usually "home" on the D row and use the A on the G row when the chord is A but use the G row sometimes when using a G chord. Also cross to the G row for lower notes in the D scale to allow the left hand to still get chords.

Have a listen to the Waterman's Hornpipe at http://www.hgmitchell.plus.com/hgm/watermanshornpipe.mp3 which start in D on the D row. The A at the end of the first phrase is on the G row to get the A chord. The Am sequence is entirely on the G row.

Conversely Nancy at http://www.hgmitchell.plus.com/hgm/nancy.mp3 is in D but unaccompanied and I use D, C#, B, A (D row), G, F#, E, D (G row) for the run down using just two fingers and four buttons.

Howard Mitchell