"subscriptions" Working Ok?

This forum has a feature called "Subscriptions" that sends me an e-mail ("Topic Subscription Reply Notification" from paul@concertina.net) every time a topic to which I have "subscribed" receives a new post. I am automatically subscribed to any topic I post to, and can optionally subscribe to any other topic by following the appropriate links in my control panel.

I have recently noticed that I am not getting nearly as many of these notification e-mails as I used to, and then noticed that there are definitely times when I should have gotten them that I am not (new posts in topics I have posted in). More recently, I have noticed that the few e-mails I continue to get are in topics that have been going for many months (Henk's "Recorded Tune Link Page," for instance, which seems to account for almost all of them).

Any topic that was started since a certain recent date (I'm not sure when, but I wouldn't be surprised if it coincided with the software upgrade) is not sending me notifications, even though my control panel has them all listed as subscriptions.

Just curious. This is not urgent, and I know that Paul and Ken have more pressing things to concern themselves with, but if it's an easy fix, I always found it a useful feature when it was working right.

Thanks.

I think I have gotten them since the upgrade. My account was set to a new default to get them, I guess. I manually turned some threads off, then they all stopped. While I found this a bit curious, I didn't personally investigate, as these notices drove me crazy anyway. I've learned from sad experience that I need to review _every_ post in _every_ thread anyway (I read a lot I would otherwise skip), preferably twice a day, to be sure all is well everywhere on the site. This is one reason I'm averaging 5 more hours a week on C.net than on any of my concertinas. :ph34r:

Of course this notification feature might well be useful to others, but I waited to hear that. Dr. B. has now spoken for you, so let me see what I can find out.

The Kitchen Help

Arggh, I just wrote a long funny post and my computer ate it. Short version is I found all sorts of interesting stuff (a button labelled "empty forum") and the email log (which I didn't read, I'm a gentleman!). ;) If you go to My Controls you can use Subscriptions/View Topics to see what you are subscribed to. You must also go to Options/Email Settings to set it to email you...subscriptions don't email you for new posts unless it's set here. That's what the documentation says; I don't know why settings changed. If this doesn't do it we need to bring in Paul.

Enough and back to work; no Guinness for me tonight. My head already hurts from a cold and I'm catching up on work I didn't do last week!

Thank you, Ken. That may have solved it.

If you go to My Controls you can use Subscriptions/View Topics to see what you are subscribed to.
I had done that earlier, and seen that I was subscribed to many current threads that I wasn't hearing from, hence my earlier post. I went there again just now and noticed that each thread was associated with a blank checkbox. Hmmm....
You must also go to Options/Email Settings to set it to email you...subscriptions don't email you for new posts unless it's set here.
This one I hadn't tried earlier, and I now see that my setting at the botom of the page (previously at "Immedeate Email notification") had been reset to a default "No Email notification." So I changed it. I'll know by morning whether it had the desired effect.

Oh, and...

...these notices drove me crazy anyway.
I like them because they give me time to think about my response before logging onto c.net, where time may be less under my control (I feel pressure to read—or decide not to read—all the new posts in one sitting, otherwise it's difficult to keep track of what's new).

Oh, and...
...these notices drove me crazy anyway.
I like them because they give me time to think about my response before logging onto c.net, where time may be less under my control (I feel pressure to read—or decide not to read—all the new posts in one sitting, otherwise it's difficult to keep track of what's new).

Oh, of course. I meant just to say why I don't use this feature; I'm sure it's useful to many of you. We all spend too long customizing our computers. It was my excuse why I hadn't tried to fix it before...researching this took close to an hour. Now you all know why we never catch up here, and I now know why Paul never gets to play his concertina! :)

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

I'll know by morning whether it had the desired effect.
Indeed, eleven of the little buggers by the time I woke up this morning. >shudder!< :wacko:

New behavior, though: I used to get only one per thread per session. That is, once it sent me one from a certain thread, I wouldn't get another one until after the next time I visited c.net. Most of the ones that came last night were about the "Russian Odessa Duet Concertina" thread. And interestingly, Ken's response immedeately above this is not represented.

No need for Ken to waste another hour, though. I'm happy with it as is. Thanks again.