For Yorkshire Ears Only - New Radio Folk

Hopefully, this will become concertina related - soon.

NEW FOLK PROGRAMME ON BBC RADIO YORK STARTS 16 MARCH

BBC Radio York launches a new series of folk programmes for North Yorkshire. Matt Youdale, Managing Editor, BBC Radio York, said 'Ever since Henry Ayrtons Thursday show finished in this region, I have said that I wanted to introduce a folk programme of our own. It has taken a while to find a suitable presenter, but at last we're there. We have a bright young presenter called Michael Brothwell, who has done a little work for us previously and broadcasts on student radio at the University of York'. Our intention is for Michael to present North Yorkshire Folk 7-8pm on Wednesdays, with a launch date of March 16th. We have deliberately chosen this time and day to dovetail with Mike Harding on Radio 2. Our programme

will be heavily music-based (of course!), but we also hope to carry some interviews and live performances ­ and an events diary for North Yorkshire.

Performers ­ you can help Michael by sending your CDs or offering to do a live performance. This is a splendid opportunity to raise the profile of folk arts in the region, so do get in touch with Michael with any suggestions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/radioyork/

michael.brothwell@bbc.co.uk

matt.youdale@bbc.co.uk

01904 540301

Hopefully, this will become concertina related - soon.

NEW FOLK PROGRAMME ON BBC RADIO YORK STARTS 16 MARCH

Hopefully we can hear it through "tinternet"!

Just for a moment I thought it was a chap I know who works at York Uni (called Mike) who plays English Concertina rather well. But alas no.....

Thought I'd have a look at the Radio York site and find out some more details about the programme. It may be me but I couldn't find any mention of it at all. Plenty of information about local Rock Bands and their gigs. Perhaps the BBC is doing it's usual by pretending that no-one is really interested in folk music which gives it an excuse to marginalise the topic.

Pete

I listened to it on 103.7 FM - an exemplary!!!! program - very trad.

They featured a group of 3 Folkworks undergrads - I had forgotten how much I had enjoyed the live studio performances on Henry Ayrtons previous series.

Peter - Michael Brothwell is the presenter - same person?.

No, there is no mention of it at all on their website - It lists Nightsport on the 7-8 slot - a sign of things to come?.

Hopefully it might take off and the other local stations take it onboard.