"Alternative" Anglo Concertina Players

Sean M

Most of the anglo concertina players I know play Irish trad and although I'm not as familiar with it, I'm assuming there are a good number of English folk musicians who play them as well. Does any one have any suggestions for music outside of England/Ireland that plays anglo concertina? The instrument has a big history in Germany as far as production but was it commonly played there as well?

While writing this I remembered that the anglo concertina has a big role in Boer music. Anywhere else I can look for anglo players across the world?

• Like 1

Here are some ideas about other musics that sound good, in my opinion, on anglo and for which a typical 30-button anglo in C/G is well suited. That's not necessarily to say that musicians within these traditions have made or are still making extensive use of anglo concertinas, just that there is some (or even a great deal of) evidence that concertinas have served those musics well in the past and may still serve:

Swedish [lots of polska & other dance tunes]

French dance music [concertinas seem to have been generally but not completely eclipsed by melodons & accordions]

Russian [Russian music has a strong tradition of using English and anglo in the genre called "chastushki"]

Czech & Slovak

Klezmer dance tunes and lots of Yiddish songs (concertina as accompaniment or as melody lead)

Sea shanties from many countries

and, of course, South Africa's "boermusik"

I suggest that you consult Dan Worrall's 2-volume masterpiece called "The Anglo-German Concertina: A Social History," Concertina Press, Fulshear, Texas 2009 ISBN 978-0-9825996-0-0 if you want to delve deeper into this.

Lots more traditional African Anglo Squashbox and Palm Wine Concertina on the web if you search hard. This is one of my favorites...

SQUASHBOX - LE CONCERTINA ZOULOU ET SOTHO EN AFRIQUE DU SUD (1930-1965) (1993)

and the last I checked, can be downloaded here:

https://liradopovo.blogspot.com/2008/11/squashbox-le-concertina-zoulou-et-sotho.html

Great stuff!

Edited by Jody Kruskal