Wheatstone Layout for Irish Music

Sean M

I posted this question on another thread but was told I'd get more responses by starting a separate thread so here goes.

I now have a C/G Morse Céilí in the Jeffries layout because it seemed like the Jeffries layout was better for Irish tradition music. I'm wondering about the pros to the Wheatstone layout for ITM. I noticed some makers like for Kensington and Carroll concertinas have sort of a hybrid of the two layouts, mostly a Jeffries layout with a push C# that's found in the Wheatstone layout.

Wheatstone seems like a common system for beginner's concertinas so I'm wondering what the advantages of using the Wheatstone layout for ITM are aside from being the system some people are used to.

Hi Sean,

The advantage of a Jeffries system is having a push and draw C#.  The "Pure" Jeffries system has a draw C# on the first button and a push c# on the second button.  The reason for the hybrid layout is that it has a C# on the push and draw on the first button and also a C# push on the second button.  I think it makes it easier to play for someone that has learned on a Wheatstone set-up (push C# on the first button).  The disadvantage is you are losing Eb's which may or may not be important to you.

I would think that once you are playing on a Jeffries layout you would not choose to go back or change to a Wheatstone layout.  I started on a Wheatstone Layout but have switched to a Jeffries layout without a problem.  I also own concertinas that are in a Wheatstone set-up and have no problem going back and forth between the two.

Doug