It Does Get Easier!

This morning, after looking around and noticing for a moment all the housework I should do, I practiced that art of detachment and separated myself from the situation, and then attached myself to my concertina.

I randomly played that magic 3-chord package of '1, 4, 5' (I - IV - V) in a few of the easy keys, then in various keys with more sharps and flats, just sort of 'noodling' or whatever they call that.

I can hardly believe how much easier it's become for me to play in keys other than C or G!!! I haven't been practicing this progression specifically, but just that fact that I've been practicing AT ALL has made the whole works go better.

While I'm still clueless when it comes to chords, I certainly do agree that it does get easier. I was able to get through 'Claire de Lune' (the easy first part anyway) and Massenet's 'Meditation' last night. It was a little ugly, but I've never been able to get through them before; I always got frustrated and quit. It feels pretty good.

Oh, and for the record, it was a version of 'Meditation' that was shifted an octave lower than the "real" version, so that makes it a little easier.

Jeff, I'm wondering what key you play Clare de Lune in...Db, I'm guessing? Is that the original key?

I 'know' (meaning I recognize) Clare de Lune at least for the most part, but not Massenet's 'Meditation.' I looked for Clare de Lune at Schubertline.com, didn't find it there, but I did find it at

sheetmusicdirect.us. Here's one of the links: Clare de Lune

What's nice, I just discovered, is that I can get a 'fake book' copy -- that gives the chords -- as well as a copy that has the correct counterpoint (but no chords).

The are both in different keys -- Db for the 'real' copy, and 'D' for the fake book copy. But, it wouldn't be too hard to pencil-in the chords a 1/2-step DOWN (edited here), I guess.

So maybe I'll try that one, too.

I like to play things as written by the original composer but (especially since I don't really sightread music too well) I like to know the chord progressions, too....I figure them out myself, but, I have no complaints if someone else has already done that part!

Edit added...I meant to say '1/2-step DOWN, not up....play in the Db key but lower the fake book chords. However, since this post, I've found a copy in 'The Classical Fake Book,' in the key of C, and maybe I'll just go with that one. Tricky timing, though, for sure!

Edited by bellowbelle