Another set of eyes

This Lachenal I just restored the bellows on and cleaned up is working very well except for one thing that’s driving me crazy.  

#4 on the right side, 20 button Anglo, leaks on he push only and I’ve done everything, new springs, new pads, changing the height of the fulcrum, bending the action rod as originally it was being pressed on by the end plate once screwed on.

Its fine until I tighten the end plate fully seated and then the #4 pad gets loose and doesn’t seat on the action board hole with enough force to keep it sealed.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve taken the end off.  Going coo coo....

I think you're probably on the right track - it sounds like some part of the end plate is pushing the lever or the spring, or maybe the button cross hole bushing is too tight. It may help to try assembling it without the button and see if it still happens.

Edited by alex_holden
  • Thanks 1

Seth,

Do check the underside of the fret work.  The baffles, perhaps removed were glued to small cork or leather spacers.  If by some unlucky chance it lines up with the action arm in question it could interfere with proper pad closure.

If you get a good seal with the top half of the action box removed and then lose it once the top is in place then chances are the part of the action arm between the pivot and the button rides a bit too high.  Adjust as necessary.  And of course check to make sure the pivot is secure and flush with the action board.

Been there; done a lot of it.  Patience and persistence building.

Greg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greg Jowaisas said:

Seth,

Do check the underside of the fret work.  The baffles, perhaps removed were glued to small cork or leather spacers.  If by some unlucky chance it lines up with the action arm in question it could interfere with proper pad closure.

If you get a good seal with the top half of the action box removed and then lose it once the top is in place then chances are the part of the action arm between the pivot and the button rides a bit too high.  Adjust as necessary.  And of course check to make sure the pivot is secure and flush with the action board.

Been there; done a lot of it.  Patience and persistence building.

Greg

Thanks,  I did remove the nasty old baffle and the little tabs it was glued too.  I can’t really see where it’s touching but it’s so subtle you can barely see it.  The fulcrum is one of those bent U shaped wires, the cheap method in the budget Lachenals.  I did notice it was sticking up higher than the others so I tapped it a bit deeper to lower the action rod.  That helped a bit but there is still that looseness right at the moment the screws are tightened fully so something is pressing on the button, rod, spring but it’s not visible through the fretwork.  It’s fine on the pull but on the push you hear that note slightly leaking and harmonizing with the other notes being played.  

I’m going to try Alex’s idea of leaving the button off next.  If that doesn’t remedy it then I’m going to replace the action rod and fulcrum with a modern one.

Thanks for the ideas, I was stumped.

Seth

Edited by Seth

1 hour ago, RAc said:

Hi Seth,

maybe you can get yourself a USB endoscope you can thread into the assembled action plate through one of the other holes? Those thingies aren't too expensive...

just a thought.

I have thought about this.  I got one for Christmas that works WiFi with my phone.  Now if I can find it is another story.

Cheers, Seth

Ok, I fixed it and realized there was another one doing the same thing but ever so soft that it couldn’t be heard over the problem note.  It was the springs on both.  Where the spring connects to the action rod and is bent into the U shape to wrap around the action rod, the U shape was too deep and the spring was rising above the action rod just enough to barely get pushed down when the end was tightened down.