Strengthening Push and Pull Muscles

Hiya

I've been playing a great concertina that has a wonderful sound, great reeds and in need of no improvement. The problem I want to believe is me...

The reeds of this instrument take more strength to push and pull the sound from than my main instrument.

I am assuming if I strengthen  and build up the muscles that I use to push and pull my ability to get some music out of the challenging instrument will improve.

Does anyone have any experience with strengthening exercises for concertina playing?

I assume it is the pectoral, lats etc.....?

I can imagine a lot can be achieved using rubber band exercises.? 

Any stories, thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by richard

As someone who has suffered connective tissue problems in pursuit of stronger concertina playing muscles I would counsel CAUTION.

First of all i would have the "more difficult to play" instrument evaluated to see if lightening spring pressure or elevating hand rests or in extreme cases replacing bellows might not help.

I also would advise slowly and incrementally building up playing time on the possibly improved difficult instrument.  (By slowly i'm suggesting 5-10 minute non-challenging sessions once or twice a day, lots of rest or even a day's rest in between with perhaps adding another session every two to three weeks.  

As Paul Groff once wisely told me it takes months and months for the muscles to become acclimated and strength to develop when playing the anglo concertina.  If you hurry the process it puts connective tissue at risk.

If you are dead set on exercises I'd consult the physical therapy people.  They seem to have a good idea of how the body works.

Be safe.  Play smart.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas
  • Like 1

Greg has really good advice re exercising.  One quirk of concertina playing is that most people hold one end fixed when seated and move the other.  This means that one arm is basically doing isometric exercise while the other is dynamic exercise.  It is a good idea to intersperse some moving exercise for the static arm with your playing practice.  Otherwise, you will develop strength but not range of motion that can cause trouble, especially in the neck and shoulder since any force you apply has to be countered by an opposite force on the other end of the muscle attachments. 

Playing concertina can be enjoyable enough not to want to stop.  Then all of a sudden it starts to be painful and requires a long break to get back to where it is safe to play again.

Dana