When we line cases and restore etc. Glues

A recent posting on the flute site the Chiff and Fipple reminded me of the thread for people who make and line cases.   The experience of someone who lined a flute case with glued in foam and cloth only to find the glue he chose was somehow off gassing and corroding the keys on the flute, led me mention we should choose our materials carefully. Considering all the metal bits in our instruments, corrosion would be a big concern.  I recently got bottle of ph neutral pva glue to glue a curling bellows paper.  Sure I had Elmers in the basement.  But it seemed like the 8 dollar investment on a glue sold for bookbinding  made some sense.  I did use a drop on the concertina, and a couple of drizzles repairing a flute case lining, and will pass it on to a paper-crafty neighbor. 

I once used PVA to glue grille cloths to the back of a pair of freshly polished nickel silver end plates. The next day they were badly tarnished around the piercings. What I hadn't realised until then is that ordinary PVA gives off acetic acid fumes as it dries.

I'd recommend hot hide or bone glue for gluing lining material into cases. It's cheap, you can choose how thin you want it, it allows repositioning and it's completely reversible if you mess it up! I normally do a test piece to make sure it doesn't penetrate through the material and I brush it onto the case, wait a minute or two until it's gone tacky, before pressing the material into place.

Adrian