Concertina Players of Irish Traditional Music in North America - Feedback Wanted From You!

Dear Concertina.net members,

I'd be very grateful if any of you (specifically those who live in North America and play Irish traditional music in your repertoire) would take a few minutes for this research survey that I'm conducting at the Library of Congress since January this year (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NZ37MVC). 

The survey is part of a larger project where I am researching the audio collections at the American Folklife Center. Some of the data sets that we have developed already contains a few concertina tracks from old recordings and festivals which I am sure would be of interest to people on here, and I aim to post about it on this thread once my project is finished. 

The research is looking at how performers use audio files on the internet. More about this project can be found here: https://blogs.loc.gov/thesignal/2019/04/connections-in-sound-irish-traditional-music-at-afc/

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

All the best,
Patrick Egan

On 5/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, irishplayer said:

I'd be very grateful if any of you (specifically those who live in North America and play Irish traditional music in your repertoire) would take a few minutes for this research survey that I'm conducting at the Library of Congress since January this year.

Hi Patrick,

I've just looked at the beginning of the survey, and already I'm not sure how to answer some of the questions.  That's typical of me, since I frequently fail to fit neatly into other folks categories.  I might PM you an annotated/free text verson of some of my answers and let you decide what to do with them.

To begin with, after 25 years of involvement with Irish music in the US, I moved to Denmark, where I've continued that involvement for the past 24 years.  Meanwhile, Irish has never been my only musical concentration.

I am looking forward to hearing about the results of the poll and your research in general.

All the best,

Jim Lucas

Hi Jim,

Great to hear from you. That's most interesting - I would love to hear from people who have been outside the US as well. Unfortunately it also means that we miss out on these entries, and I am cognisant of that - but it will help to have feedback to demonstrate what will be missing from the data when the results are out. Please send if you get a chance. I'll direct message you with my email there now.

All the best,

Patrick

• 2 months later...