PDF Reader for Android

Roger Hare

I put this here 'cos I want to carry PDFs of scores around with me for learning purposes - best I could do...

Can anyone recommend a PDF reader for Android tablets, other than Adobe Acrobat? I've used Sumatra on

my PCs for the last couple of years, but I can't see a version for Android, and looking at what's available in 

the online 'catalogue', I can't see anything which immediately grabs me by the short hairs.

Thank you.

Roger.

Edited by lachenal74693

Roger

There are lots of pdf readers available for Android and any of them would 'do' for what you want. 

Back in the day, I bought EZ Pdf reader from the Playstore (it is almost embarrassing to type that in) and it is fine, but several others have shown up as side effects of installing other packages (like KIndle or ES File Explorer) and they work just fine too.  I probably would not bother buying EZ Pdf Reader again.

The bigger question is how to organize your scores so that you can find the requisite pdf file when you want it.

Personally, I do not use pdf's at all for this as I use Musescore (with its ABC import) on my PC, save the files in Google Drive and then open them directly in Musescore Songbook on Android.  I am grandfathered in with an old Android Musescore account so this costs me nothing, but I believe that to do this starting from scratch now is fairly expensive.

If your scores are all in ABC then maybe you should try the TradMusician app, it is a pretty good ABC player and can display the score in dot notation too,. Plus, like Musescore Songbook, it can actually play the score for you which no pdf reader will ever do.

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

2 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

1) There are lots of pdf readers available for Android and any of them would 'do' for what you want. 

2) Back in the day, I bought EZ Pdf reader from the Playstore (it is almost embarrassing to type that in) and it is fine, but several others have shown up as side effects of installing other packages (like KIndle or ES File Explorer) and they work just fine too...

3) The bigger question is how to organize your scores so that you can find the requisite pdf file when you want it.

4) Personally, I do not use pdf's at all for this as I use Musescore (with its ABC import) on my PC, save the files in Google Drive and then open them directly in Musescore Songbook on Android.  I am grandfathered in with an old Android Musescore account so this costs me nothing, but I believe that to do this starting from scratch now is fairly expensive.

5) If your scores are all in ABC then maybe you should try the TradMusician app, it is a pretty good ABC player and can display the score in dot notation too,. Plus, like Musescore Songbook, it can actually play the score for you which no pdf reader will ever do.

Don, good morning, and thank you.

1) Yeah, it's because there are so many PDF readers there that I asked the question - I was wondering if any particular one was obviously 'better' than

all t'others.

2) Er, yes, me too - that is why I said 'online catalogue'...☺️. I hadn't cottoned to the fact that I can do this from within ES File Explorer - I already

use this program and will investigate that one, thanks for pointing it out.

3) Yes, I haven't quite sorted that one yet. I'm tempted just to leave them in the order in which they are presented in each selection/tune-book/w.h.y.

4) I don't use MuseScore much (though when I do, it's very useful). All my actual music processing is all done on the PC (usually with EasyABC). The

tablet is just for 'looking' as it were, so something 'passive' is fine...

5) I do use TradMusician. The ABC player is good, (but I could wish it were a bit louder). The only 'problem' I have with TM is that if you have the 'score'

option selected (as opposed to the ABC script option), it can be a bit slow to shift between tunes, so a more conventional PDF reader as a 'back-up' is

good for quickly flicking between scores at sessions and dance-outs.

Thanks for the input - helpful, and has given me a couple of ideas - I will certainly be looking at the ES File Explorer option..

Roger.

Roger

I mis-spoke. 

It is the X-plore file manager that includes a simple and fast pdf reader - X-plore PDF, not ES-File Explorer as I said in my first post. 

I prefer using ES-File Explorer to find files and it will fire up X-Plore PDF just fine - which, given the similarity of the two names - I just assumed was part of ES-File Explorer.

Don.

14 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

...It is the X-plore file manager that includes a simple and fast pdf reader - X-plore PDF, not ES-File Explorer as I said in my first post... 

Don, thank you - I was a bit puzzled when I couldn't see anything in ES Explorer. I will look at it later...

Thanks again. Roger.