British Library

Alan Day

I had an interesting afternoon at the British Library on Friday.The library is situated near Easton Station about ten minutes walk.I wanted to listen to particular

types of music and I can only say how very helpful they were.They were initially contacted with the type of music I was interested in.They came back to me with all the reference numbers and an appointment was made in advance to hear the music.You just cannot turn up for this facility.I had to sit down at a computer and type in all my personal details and then show proof of identity this took about half an hour and I got a little pass card with my picture on.If you decide to go,take a pencil as no pens are allowed in the reading areas.On arrival in the music area I was met by an assistant who had all the CDs of the music I wanted to listen to and was taken to the sound proof rooms area.There is a CD player with earphones and a phone to contact staff for assistance.The girl in the booth in front of me was studying Jazz music and the girl in the booth behind me Classical.

If you want a copy of the music you are listening to they charge £40 per hour to copy it.

The reading rooms require no appointment and I saw many students etc looking at old and new music scores.Most reputable record companies send copies of recordings to this library and I must admit I never gave the place a thought until it was recommended to me.

Al

Edited by Alan Day