English Wrist Straps

otsaku

• 4 weeks later...

I have a T/T Edeophone that came to me with screw sets in place for wrist straps.

I bought leather this week to make straps.

The way this instrument "balances" for me is quite different than the treble that I play. My arthritic thumbs really feel the difference on the draw. I believe the wrist straps will take a bit of the load off the thumbs and make draw notes more comfortable on this instrument. I'll report back on the results once the straps are done.

March 20th:

A week ago I finished and attached my wrist straps to my tenor treble edeophone. In my case the straps make this instrument much easier to play and control. Much less strain on my thumbs and better contact with the palms of the hand to the ends of the instrument when needed.

There are a few trade offs however. It is easier with this three point system of thumb strap, wrist strap and finger grip to put more unnecessary pressure on the little finger. I have to remind myself to relax and not overload the pinkie.

The straps have the possibility of restricting up and down movement on the keyboard, in particular to access lower notes. (And isn't that what makes a tenor treble special?!) I've had to experiment with the tightness of the straps to maintain the push/pull advantage and still have enough room to be able to curl my hands a bit to get on top of the lower notes.

Overall I'm pleased and encouraged with adding the wrist staps to the t/t edeophone.

Regards,

Greg

I solved most of my problems by reversing the finger plates.

The problems I solved were the strain on my thumbs but I introduced a tendency to pinch the thumbstrap with my index fingers. So the answer me thinks is going to be a neckstrap and the finger plates in their original positions.

Actually, I just remembered, I put a pattern for English system wrist straps in the Maintenence Manual.

As for the neck strap attachments, I follow what I have seen on the old band instruments. I try to get them as close to the mid point on the flat which is parallel with the thumb straps. They are miniature 'D' rings, which are screwed to the pad board/ action's wall. Care is needed to ensure that the pilot drilling of the screw hole, and the screw do not damage the nearest pad, or cut into the pad's seating.

The idea is to get the support positioned so as to take the weight off the thumbs without upsetting the balence of instrument or its bellows control

Dave

... for the neck strap attachments, I follow what I have seen on the old band instruments. I try to get them as close to the mid point on the flat which is parallel with the thumb straps. They are miniature 'D' rings, which are screwed to the pad board/ action's wall.

On old English concertinas I have more usually seen them attached to the top screws (that adjust the thumb straps). They generally consist of a small metal ring, held in place by a loop made of (glued) thumb-strap leather which the top screw passes through.