Mark Evans Recordings

Henk van Aalten

Yesterday I received from Mark a mail with soundfiles attached. I have found a place on the internet so they can be heard world-wide.

Here is Mark's description:

I've found a live cassette tape of a concert my old band Shady Grove gave at the Cats Cradle in Chapel Hill N.C. in 1982 (we were opening for Doc Watson).  The tape is so old we were afraid to put it in a playback machine. The ITS guys worked very hard to try and clean up the sound.

I've attached two MP3 files. 

The first is an Old Time Medley.  The mandolin player gives their names: Ragtime Annie/Whiskey Before Breakfast/June Apple/Ragtime Annie

The second is Undecided Now (Jazz Standard) with me as vocalist.

On these recordings I'm playing my 1921 Wheatstone Aeola

So enjoy the playing and singing of Mark:

Old Time Medley

Undecided Now

Thank you Wendy. As I told Henk off-Net, this was a very emotional experience. That tape sat in a box for more than 20 years. I broke down to hear that young man singing and playing, still innocent.

I was moved to get in touch with two of the original members of Shady Grove (they are still doing about 40 shows a year). We all had a good cry. Turns out my forgotten tape is the only one surviving from that period.

They were planning a 25th anniversary concert and wanted to contact me, but....

Redemption, reunion! I will go home again this fall and for the first time in 22 years a concertina (and ole roly-poly me) will take stage with Shady Grove.

Thank you C. Netters and the recorded links page for inspiring me.

Edited by Mark Evans

Redemption, reunion!  I will go home again this fall and for the first time in 22 years a concertina (and ole roly-poly me) will take stage with Shady Grove.

I loved your cuts. Will there be more?

Do be sure to record the concert. I'm sure that you could sell a few CD copies of it to us C.netters. The full old tape, too, I think.

this was a very emotional experience. That tape sat in a box for more than 20 years. I broke down to hear that young man singing and playing, still innocent.

Mark, that's so moving. I too have been revisiting my younger self lately- no recordings to help me along- so I can relate.

Your soundfiles are wonderful! I want more! And yes, please do record the concert.

Allison