Wheatstone Reeds - Short Scale/ Normal Scale Reeds

Seán Ó Fearghail

Hi Would anyone be interested in a full set of short scale/ normal scale Wheatstone reeds from a wheatstone maccann in old pitch...... untouched..... 2% donation to concertina.net if sold here..... ofearghail@gmail.com or 0872800980.... Located in Ireland....

from the 1910/-1925 period.... i'll check what date concertina when i'm home next.....

Edited by Seán Ó Fearghail

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm a bit thick on this. What is the difference between short scale and long scale reeds...?

No surprise that you don't know.

I once comparison-measured reeds on several instruments, some supposedly "long scale" and others not. As I recall, there was no consistency and considerable variation, even for a single manufacturer (Wheatstone or Lachenal) and model (Aeola, Edeophone, New Model, or models for which I had no name/number). In particular, some reeds from at least one instrument advertised as having "long scale" were shorter than equivalent reeds from other instruments expected to have "normal scale" (and other "normal scale" reeds were even shorter).

I wish I knew where I put the details.

Maybe somebody who has worked on lots of concertinas has statistics that indicate more consistency?

So I'm guessing that "scale" in this context means "compared to the average". Except that nobody knows exactly what the average is.

I suppose somebody could fairly quickly establish an average for the length of the reed for each note on the average concertina.

Maybe it comes into play more for the really deep bass notes, and how they are made and weighted?

Are brass reeds the same "scale" as steel? I haven't noticed a difference.

I've noticed that "scale" can vary even in instruments of the same quality, built at the same time, depending on the number of buttons (and hence, space available for long reeds) - so that a 56-key treble Aeola might have reeds shorter than the "long-scale" ones in a 48-key, or likewise in an ebony-ended 40-key Anglo and a 30-key one.