Alternative Fingering For The English Concertina In Whole Tones

This alternative "fingering for the English Concertina in whole tones" derives from the fingering of the chromatic Salzburger Hackbrett (dulcimer) which was invented 1927 by Tobi Reiser.

The obvious advantage is that the notes of the different octaves stay on their original side, on the same point every octave two lines higher.

This is only an idea. I have limited experience with the chromatic dulcimer, no experience with this concertina - fingering. Maybe there is some stimulation for some of you.

Juergen fingering concertina.pdf

Hmm...would be interesting to try, but I don't know for sure what I would call it. Not an English concertina, I suppose... because it would be a new system(?).

Hmm.... :mellow:

I wonder if it would be more difficult to play certain things on it, than on the traditional English? It would greatly change the quickness of left-right or right-left moves as the would be on the traditional instrument....I think??? Not even sure.

It's already been done, and it's called the Hayden Duet, but on the Hayden, your right and left patterns are interleaved on each side (the left an octave lower than the right). That way it doesn't take two hands to play the melody. I've been playing it for 30 years.

|        LEFT HAND            ||        RIGHT HAND
|                             ||
|                             ||  Bb  C   D
|   F   G   A   B             ||    F   G   A   B   C#
| Bb (C)  D   E   F#  G#      ||  Bb  C   D   E   F#  G#
|   F   G   A   B   C#  D#    ||    F   G   A   B   C#  D#
|     C   D   E   F#  G#      ||     (C)  D   E   F#  G#
|                             ||
|(5th Finger)       (Thumb)   ||  (Thumb)       (5th Finger)
| ======HAND STRAP========    ||   ======HAND STRAP========
|
|(C) = middle C (both hands).