Uk Waiting Times For Anglo C/g

Alun

Hi all,

I'm looking to move up from the Rochelle Anglo to get a quicker response with less pressure and, hopefully, to be able to play a little quieter at home whilst still able to join in with our Thursday sessions after Morris practice.

I have done a lot reading over the last few months and the instruments within my budget appear to be the Marcus or Norman. There doesn't seem to be any about s/hand so I wondered what the delivery times for a new one are now in February 2016.

Yes I know I should get on the phone and ask but I would prefer to hear from purchasers what their experiences have been recently.

No slight intended to the makers I have mentioned, by the way.

Many thanks

Alun

I have done a lot reading over the last few months and the instruments within my budget appear to be the Marcus or Norman. There doesn't seem to be any about s/hand so I wondered what the delivery times for a new one are now in February 2016.

If you want information about second hand, you should check directly with dealers. They don't normally list all their individual instruments here or on eBay. Chris Algar of Barleycorn tends to have the widest selection in the UK, though there are other possibilities, such as Theo Gibb of The Box Place. Others here can probably add other dealers worth contacting.

You don't have to get on the phone. You can just email. Andrew Norman answered my inquiry, he'll answer yours, I'm sure. Marcus is also very good about that. As of about 2-3 years ago, Andrew Norman's wait was like two, two 1/2 years. No idea what it is now. You might also try Chris Algar at Barleycorn Concertinas. He sometimes has "hybrid" (quality accordion-reeded) Anglos in stock.

There is a wood-ended Wheatstone Anglo on ebay right now for about the price of a Norman or Marcus. It has hook action, not riveted, but so do the Marcus concertinas. The folks here who are more knowledgeable than I about eras can tell you whether it would be a good upgrade for you.

There is a metal-ended Wheatstone 30button at Button Box from 1969 that is not much more than a hybrid. Not thought of as "golden era," but it is steel reeds in brass frames, and may be as good or better than a "hybrid." Some of those '60s Wheatstones are quite loud, and one could always down the line have the Button Box put their own very fast action into it. Chris Droney, the North Clare concertina maestro, has been playing brilliant dance music on a metal-ended Wheatstone of this vintage for many wonderful years.

I understand that UK shoppers are wary of shipping from the US, but shouldn't the exchange rate advantage balance that out?

Edited by ceemonster

Many thanks.

I have been keeping a daily watch on all the stockists websites for months but they don't seem to get updated. I also watch e-bay every day but the couple of times I saw something desirable they shot right out of my price range, shame.

I have been reluctant to email/phone to find out what people have in stock as I may overstep what I can afford at the moment. So, maybe I will wait a few months to save more. That would put me into a different league of instrument, the question then is - does my playing ability match the quality of instrument.

I guess it's the same quandary for most of us, the desire for something better at a price we can afford in the hope of making better music.

Again thanks, and I will post again when I have made the decision.

Alun

Hi Alun,

I have a Connor C/G that has had very little playing, I play melodeon and thought the Anglo would be good but did not get on with it and now play duet. Have a search around concertina net to see what people think of Connor concertinas and pm me if you may be interested, I am looking for much less than the one at Hobgoblin in Brighton.

malcolm