Lachenal English

Daddy Long Les

To my knowledge, the Wes Williams dating chart (see preceding posting) is the best set of estimates currently in print. However, for dating some Lachenal concertinas, a little reworking on the estimate is needed. Look at the Wes Williams chart, and compare with the following considerations:

1. Assigning Lachenal serial numbers (as opposed to Wheatstone serial numbers) to English-system concertinas basically started in about 1858 and seems to have started with serial number 5000.

2. Assigning serial numbers to Lachenal Anglo concertinas seems to have started at No. 1 in about 1862.

3. The best evidence is that Lachenal & Co. ceased its operations in 1933--not 1936.

4. The highest numbered English Lachenal (except for No. 87733) that I have seen is No. 60498.

5. The highest numbered Anglo Lachenal that I have seen is No. 201258.

I have been working on an article about Lachenal for a long time. My article will build upon the two fine Lachenal articles by Stephan Chambers (see the Stephan Chambers tab in concertina.com). My article will include additional information on dating the manufacture of Lachenal concertinas.

To my knowledge, the Wes Williams dating chart (see preceding posting) is the best set of estimates currently in print. However, for dating some Lachenal concertinas, a little reworking on the estimate is needed.......

I have been working on an article about Lachenal for a long time. My article will build upon the two fine Lachenal articles by Stephan Chambers (see the Stephan Chambers tab in concertina.com). My article will include additional information on dating the manufacture of Lachenal concertinas.

I look forward to that Dowright!

Those charts are 15 years old, and were written when our knowledge was very sketchy. I'm surprised they've lasted so long, so I'd be only too happy to see them replaced.

I reworked the Lachenal Anglo dating about six years ago, and its been republished on this forum a couple of times since - here is a recent repost.