Aeola Auction In Newmarket

Paul_Hardy

Did anyone here bid on the Wheatstone Aeola 26701 which was auctioned this morning by Rowley's at Tattersalls in Newmarket? I went along as I live not far away, and to see if it could be a bargain, but rather than near the estimated price of £300-500 (which was always pessimistic), two internet bidders rapidly took it up to £1500, which with buyer's margin at 19% plus VAT means a total price of around £1830. It was a good 'tina originally (model 17 from 1915) and wasn't in a bad state, but it was in old pitch rather than concert pitch, which may be a surprise to the buyer who has presumably never heard it! It was also slightly dilapidated (two buttons missing), but was playable, though it clearly had not been played in decades.

I suppose that with a few hundred quid spent on retuning, repadding and general fettling it would be a good top-end instrument, so not an unreasonable price, but it was interesting that it was the most actively bid item in the first 100 lots, with the bidders buying sight unseen.

Anyway, it got me to a 'proper' auction for the first time, and into Tattersalls sale ring where the racing horse sales happen - an interesting experience.

And this is a link to a 39 button C Jeffries anglo, which realised £3000 plus 15% buyer's premium, today, at an auction in Cornwall. It looks like a very nice instrument.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/barbara-kirk-auctions/catalogue-id-srbar10022/lot-1c79b2a3-0771-4c84-8062-a49e00b283b3

Chris