Extra Broad Steel Reeds

I currently have an old G/D Rosetti Rambler made in Germany. It has double accordion style reeds and a loud sonorous tone and was in fairly poor condition when I bought it, but I have managed to partially restore it, free most of the stuck reeds, re-tune the off notes and learn to play it to an elementary standard. But it has its limitations and I'm looking for something a bit better to progress in my playing, but have a limited budget but don't mind doing a bit of restoration.

I'm considering buying a 20 key anglo labelled H J Journet, London in need of some restoration. It has the look of a good quality English made concertina, but bears a badge saying "Extra Broad Steel Reeds. Made in Germany".

I have Four questions:

1. Is it likely that the reeds were German but the rest of the instrument English?

2. German made is generally thought to be inferior. Is this always true?

3. Would the extra broad reeds mean it's a baritone instrument?

4. Is this likely to be better than my restored Rambler?

I'd be very grateful for any advice

John

The name JOURNET cropped up inthis thread :-

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1457

There is a JOURNET 20B Anglo for sale on E-bay, here :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Journet-London-Rosewood-Concertina-5-fold-20-Button-/311125789775?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item48708acc4f

Is that the one you are thinking of buying???

Jake

I would say it's probably a German made concertina tarted up for the English market. I have something similar- a German made concertina with gold-tooled leather bellows and better quality finishes like an English-built box, but with the wooden internals and broad steel reeds ganged onto a harmonica-like plate like a German concertina, imported and rebadged by Henry Harley, a London retailer. The clue in the E-bay listing is the missing bone button top- it is obvious that it has come unglued from a wooden lever.

Would this be an improvement over your Rosetti Rambler? Probably the action won't be any better, but the quality of the reeds might be. The reeds on my Henry Harley, c. 1875, are excellent.

I would say it's probably a German made concertina tarted up for the English market. I have something similar- a German made concertina with gold-tooled leather bellows and better quality finishes like an English-built box, but with the wooden internals and broad steel reeds ganged onto a harmonica-like plate like a German concertina, imported and rebadged by Henry Harley, a London retailer. The clue in the E-bay listing is the missing bone button top- it is obvious that it has come unglued from a wooden lever.

Would this be an improvement over your Rosetti Rambler? Probably the action won't be any better, but the quality of the reeds might be. The reeds on my Henry Harley, c. 1875, are excellent.

The eBay Journet is almost certainly German-made (for the English market) in its entirety. The number of end screws and their placement is another clue.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

Thanks for the advice Bill & Daniel. I decided pass on the Journet as I already have a German made instrument. I've just bought a very cheap and dilapidated looking box, almost by accident, as I didn't expect my low bid to win the auction! So now I'm about to take possession of a bit more of a project than I intended, which I think could be a Lachenal, sold under the name of Metzler and Co. I expect to be coming back to the forums very soon for a lot of restoration advice!

Edited by catswhiskers