New Player, New Member, Old(Ish) Concertina...

You are interpreting your instrument correctly and in fact it is a conventional layout.

Ken

If it is a G/D.

Granted, the leftmost button on the left hand escaped my notice...I was just commenting that the F# and G on the right hand button one (numbering of the OP) are shown backwards (he has draw G and press F#) in Bramich's book from every G-row I've ever known. I pointed this out in my ancient review of that book on one of the now-vanished static C.net pages.

Geoff Crabb has noted how the lowest button could be the way it is on a C/G.

Thanks for the correction.

Ken

I won't try and respond individually to all the helpful replies I have received to my queries, but a collective

thank you to all those who replied.

In particular, it's encouraging that a musical illiterate like me can suppose that there *may* be different

layouts, and that it *is* possble to play tunes in key X on an instrument in key Y, and then have that

supposition confirmed! It's all very encouraging. This means that I can 'wing it' with a clear conscience!

To surmise, without any evidence that maybe, just maybe, different instruments can have different layouts,

and then have that confirmed, is similarly encouraging (thank you very much for the diagram explaining the

different possible layouts on the 20 button instrument - very useful).

The information about dating is also useful. The man who supplied my instrument says that his dating was

approximate, and that he wouldn't be surprised if the instrument was significantly earlier. The possible

earlier date would also tie in with the suggestion in these posts that the button/note layout on my instrument

is similar to the original (and presumably earlier) German manufactured 'Anglo' style instruments.

Thanks too for the suggestions relating to the ABC system and the relevant web sites - I have already

looked at, and transposed a couple of tunes so that I can (attempt to) play them.

Fascinating stuff! Once again, thank you all very much!

Roger.

Edited by lachenal74693