Concertina Mentioned In Today's New York Times

There's an article in today's (Sunday's) New York Times Arts & Leisure section about the New York Mandolin Orchestra that includes this:

Bernie Brachfeld, 80, is a retired dentist and has served as the orchestra’s manager for the last year and a half. (He is also the orchestra’s lone concertina player. Traditionally, mandolin orchestras relied on a concertina — akin to the accordion — to fill out the sound.)

Here's the accompanying picture:

01MANDOLIN1-master675.jpg

Gosh Randy, you have the most eventful concertina life!

I'm interested in the notion of a concertina 'filling out the sound' of string instruments. I've noticed this with fiddle/ concertina duets-- as though each instrument fills the wave gaps (if that makes sense), of the other and together they create a sound that seems to be more than a sum of the parts. Could this be physically true, or just ear hallucinations?

Sarah

Gosh Randy, you have the most eventful concertina life!

I'm interested in the notion of a concertina 'filling out the sound' of string instruments. I've noticed this with fiddle/ concertina duets-- as though each instrument fills the wave gaps (if that makes sense), of the other and together they create a sound that seems to be more than a sum of the parts. Could this be physically true, or just ear hallucinations?

Sarah

Hey Sarah... you making it to NESI this year?

Sarah

I agree this is an interesting phenomon. I play Nordic folk music (traditionally predominantly fiddle music) together with a fiddle or two and/or cello - with concertina it works exceedingly well. You might like to have a listen here.

Indeed, Randy, I too had the time of my life at NESI last year. But though west of Boston, NESI is still far, far east of Idaho and until we get some quicker train service (how 'bout a bullet train from Seattle to NY????), my trips will be far between.

I do have a show scheduled in New Hampshire in September of 2015 though, so one way or another, I"ll be there then.

Sarah

I agree this is an interesting phenomon. I play Nordic folk music (traditionally predominantly fiddle music) together with a fiddle or two and/or cello - with concertina it works exceedingly well. You might like to have a listen here.

Steve, this is amazing. The cello/ concertina combination is stunning -- and yes, it takes both instruments to a whole new place. Thank you!

Sarah

Sarah

Steve, this is amazing. The cello/ concertina combination is stunning -- and yes, it takes both instruments to a whole new place. Thank you!

Sarah

Many thanks Sarah.