Wheatstone Aeola By Scholer?

Spinningwoman

There's an auction on Ebay at the moment where someone is describing what looks like a Scholer Anglo as a Wheatstone Aeola, and including a Wheatstone leaflet in the pictures despite the fact that the concertina looks nothing like the one pictured in the leaflet. I am charitably assuming that the leaflet was in the box with the instrument when the seller acquired it and he assuming they went together.

I could imagine that the seller is just of the opinion that "Aeola" is another word for "concertina". It's more or less obvious that he's selling a Scholer, isn't it? OTOH there are lots of auctions with the title saying "Lachenal Wheatstone Crabb" or so albeit none of these are on sale...

Not that I'm happy with this kind of advertising, just saying...

To be fair to the seller, I don't see the slightest intention to deceive in their description. I think they're just describing it to the best of their ability, with the information they've got.

Nowhere is the word Wheatstone mentioned or claimed by them, and it's surely pretty apparent that they don't really know what the instrument is actually called (in the wider world, why should they?), seeing that they've listed it as a "Vintage Accordian / Concertina / Aeola" - the latter being names that they'll have found used in the accompanying leaflet.

And though the concertina appears (to those of us who know them) to have been made by Scholer, theirs were also sold under various other brand names, or with none at all - so how's the poor seller to know? It's just something they've got and want to get rid of, like so much else on eBay...

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Some people are glad of any better information that they can get, and others feel they're being criticised and don't want it - in fact I've seen them get very angry about it (there was a case like that on melodeon.net a few months ago!) - and how are they to know if you're right or wrong anyway? I've noticed the comments of one particular concertina enthusiast, who seems to regularly message eBay sellers and gets quoted by them, that make me wince because they're usually badly wrong...

And I don't think eBay lets you change the heading once you've got a bid on your item, so they wouldn't be able to remove the word aeola even if they did want to... :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers