Sir Charles Wheatstone

Sir Charles Wheatstone died on 19th October 1875, in Paris. The Times newspaper of London, on 19th October 2004, carries the following in its anniversaries column:-

The potential impact of the electric telegraph, on whose development he worked in collaboration with Sir William Fothergill Cooke, swiftly brought the physicist and prolific inventor Sir Charles Wheatstone to the notice of Queen Victoria's ministers. Lord Palmerston, who had met Wheatstone at a party, was later heard to remark, with some incredulity, that the day was fast approahing when a minister, asked in Parliament about the state of affairs in india, would be able to reply: "Wait a minute. I will just telegraph to the Governor-general, and let you know."

end-quote.

It is generally believed Sir Charles was a shy man. I wonder how often he got to a party.

- John Wild

It is generally believed Sir Charles was a shy man. I wonder how often he got to a party.

Quite a lot, actually. His shyness was related to public speaking, mostly. He was known as a sociable man.

His circle of friends was by no means restricted to fellow scientists, and he was a welcome guest in many houses. The dinner parties at the actor Macready's, and the visits to Dillwyn at Swansea and to the Nightingales have already been mentioned.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson