Tedrow Hotrodding - Glue Or Solder Telescoping Brass Bushings?

Hi All!

I am preparing to put brass buttons and bushings on my fleabay Bastari (which might be compared to putting lipstick on a pig, I suppose). I have located and studied the Wayback Machine archive of Bob Tedrow's technique for doing this on a Stagi. He uses two tubes, one aluminum and one brass, to create the bushing, inserting the brass tube into the aluminum. No doubt the two-tube method is simply what's necessary to fill the existing holes in the end of the concertina.

The holes I am working with are a bit larger than the 1/4 inch in his description, so I will be using 1/4 inch brass inserted into 5/16 inch brass to create the bushing. (Those are simply the tubes readily available in the correct sizes, rather than any preference for one metal over the other.)

What Tedrow's description does not seem to explain is whether he glued or soldered the bushing tubes together, so I need to decide on the best course. He does mention using cyanoacrylate glue (i.e., Super Glue) to affix the finished bushing into the wooden end off the Stagi, so I am guessing that the same was used to cement the brass tube into the aluminum tube. Other choices would be and epoxy (e.g., JB Weld) or solder. I am loathe to attempt the latter. And I am affixing brass to brass as opposed to brass to aluminum,

If anyone else has tried this or has insights to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Greg

Edited by GregHankins

Ben,

Thanks for the embarrassing correction on Mr. Tedrow's name. I have in fact, noticed his generosity in posts to dozens of threads I have read here while lurking. I edited my post to make the correction, but can't quite figure out how to edit the title of the thread. Perhaps the web gods will intervene. Apologies Mr. Tedrow!

Stevie,

Thanks for the advice. Just the sort of thing I was hoping someone would chime in with.

Greg

Stevie,

I find a couple of Loctite products that might fit the bill, and wanted your advice on which might be preferable.

There is Loctite Threadlocker Green 290

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_green/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Green-290.htm

And there is Loctite 630 Bearing Retainer:

http://www.henkelna.com/adhesives/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797924524033

The latter appears to be an industrial product but is available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/LOCTITE-37424-Strength-Sleeve-Retainer/dp/B0002KKTIG

Which of these do you expect would do the job — or were you thinking of another one of their adhesives?

Thanks!

Greg

oops! sorry Greg, I forgot they recycle colors a lot, I should have given the number. The 630, the second one you listed is what you want, but since you brought it up the first one is a wicking thread locker that will "soak" between already assembled nuts and bolts. While I'm shooting my mouth off, I'll also point out Temps of 500F will break locktite, if you ever need to get it apart.

Thanks, Ken! I made the same mistake over in another thread in the General Concertina discussion. If you can fix that one, too, we can all pretend this Faux pas never happened . . . sweep it under the rug, so to speak.

Thanks Stevie! I figured the 630 was the one, but I wanted to make sure. I think I may proceed with the brass buttons and bushings, because my experiments with felt bushings are not going all that well.

Greg

Edited by GregHankins