Hi Everyone, Newbie Here :)

Hi guys,

My name is Ted, and as my profile suggests, I am new to the concertina.

I recently inherited an old East German Galotta 401(?) Anglo C/G, 20 button, 8 fold (1 centre bracket) Concertina. I am completely new to it but being a melodeon player, have found many, if not all, 1 row tunes I know on it. I have checked out some youtube videos and have found the scale of D on it aswell.

I picked it up yesterday, and to my surpirse, really am taken by it. As opposed to my Hascy, the little Concertina has a nice, dry sound (as opposed to my swing tuned Hascy).

I am not used to the C/G way of things however (used to D/G). As I understand it (probably wrong) C/G is a popular tuning for Anglo's. I always associated C/G as a French standard tuning, in relation to melodeons anyway. Any recommendations though for a first tune that utilises both rows?

I mapped out every note with an electronic tuner and drew myself a chart of the notes layouts. The diatonic tuning is just the way I like it, I am used to it so it was a nice surprise when I remembered that a Concertina is very closely related to a melodeons right hand cut in half. It never previously occurred to me that Concertinas can self accompany (how naive was I! ;) ) so I am loving pumping out Speed the Plough, Spirit of the Dance etc.

Bit of a pointless thread but I am determined to learn to play this little hexagonal squeezebox. I realise that pretty much all starter questions are covered, so I shan't ask anything and waste forum space. Instead, on with the trawling through page after page! :)

P.S. Is this the same admin team etc. as Melodeon.net? Just wondering tis all.

P.S.S. If they are, no Concertina limerick threads will be started by me ;) :D

Thanks, Ted.

B)

Nope. Completely independent.

We've enjoyed concertina limerick (also haiku) threads in the past. Maybe it's time to revive one? B)

I recently inherited an ... Anglo C/G, 20 button ... Concertina. I am completely new to it but being a melodeon player, have found many, if not all, 1 row tunes I know on it. I have checked out some youtube videos and have found the scale of D on it aswell.

It has a C#? Or are you saying that you know how to find the D scale except for the C#? Maybe D mixolydian (D scale with C-natural instead of C-sharp)? :unsure:

As I understand it (probably wrong) C/G is a popular tuning for Anglo's.

C/G is most popular for Irish music, but using 30-button (3-row) anglos, where the third row contains C# and other accidentals. The reason for this seems to be a historical accident but is now so ingrained that change is unlikely. However, if you want to play things like Morris tunes while doing your own chordal accompaniment, then a G/D seems to be more generally preferred.

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on getting a concertina, aren't wonderful?

There is a lot of music you can pay on them, the question is what kind of music do

you want to play?

You could always use the Tune of the Month stuff to start.

This months tune, Hop and Skip, in g, should fit nicely on your 'tina.

Edited by maki

Hi! Also new. Still trying to figure out what tuning my concertina is in as things appear to be a little odd...

When I do I will hopefully use the tune of the month stuff to get me going! Always find those sorts of things really useful. Learned to play mandolin the same way (though learned may be a strong word and it has been a little neglected recently!)

Personally, I'm not fussed as to what I play. Not particularly bothered or particularly pulled to one specific style. I suppose if it's a good tune, and if I can transpose it to a key I can play, I shall play it :) I'm not afraid to interpret tunes and make changes to it, I can't read music so I never stick religiously to dots, tabs or ABC notations.

Nope. Completely independent.

We've enjoyed concertina limerick (also haiku) threads in the past. Maybe it's time to revive one? B)

I recently inherited an ... Anglo C/G, 20 button ... Concertina. I am completely new to it but being a melodeon player, have found many, if not all, 1 row tunes I know on it. I have checked out some youtube videos and have found the scale of D on it aswell.

It has a C#? Or are you saying that you know how to find the D scale except for the C#? Maybe D mixolydian (D scale with C-natural instead of C-sharp)? :unsure:

As I understand it (probably wrong) C/G is a popular tuning for Anglo's.

C/G is most popular for Irish music, but using 30-button (3-row) anglos, where the third row contains C# and other accidentals. The reason for this seems to be a historical accident but is now so ingrained that change is unlikely. However, if you want to play things like Morris tunes while doing your own chordal accompaniment, then a G/D seems to be more generally preferred.

In reply to this, I have no C#. I was a pillock and was distracted when I wrote that. I found the majority of D, but not the complete scale :rolleyes:

A G/D sounds interesting, though I am but a poor, lowly student so I shall have to stick to an old G/C for the time being :D :P

I you don't mind playing Irish Trad there are many tunes in the key of G Major, and a few in C Major.

Do a tune search here;

http://thesession.org/

OAIM, Online Acadamy of Irish music teaches concertina, and I recommend them.

Lots of tunes taught phrase by phrase, ornaments, and techneques.

Most of the stuff is oriented toward 30 button concertinas, and there is a monthly fee.

Check the free lessons on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJGJ7YZmL2c

Don't forget that you can also play Christmas tunes. Not everyone likes them, but I like them and they are familiar;

http://www.christmas-carol-music.org/Index_of_Titles.html

Don't forget that you can also play Christmas tunes. Not everyone likes them, but I like them and they are familiar;

http://www.christmas..._of_Titles.html

Yes - one of the best ways to learn is to play those really familiar tunes - sunday school songs, nursery rhymes etc. :)

^ First thing I figured out on mine was little drummer boy. Happened to come across the first note :).