Rome

RoyJanik

I was in Rome this past winter. Can't say anything about the music scene - other than I really enjoyed hearing the accordion at the restaurant we went to. First and foremost keep an eye on your wallets whereabouts (especially in the touristy areas like the Spanish Steps). I really enjoyed seeing the Pantheon, and I wish I had more time when we went to the Vatican - the Museum is unbelievable! I am not Catholic, but even so St. Peters is impressive. Get a tartufo at the gelato place in the Piaza Narvona. Touristy thing to do, but it is very good. And I thought the Trevi Fountain was much nicer at night. If you get a chance, go into the catacombs. There are a whole bunch of different ones, as the outskirts of old Rome are riddled with them. Beware crossing streets! Crosswalks are decorations and traffic lights seem to be optional for cars and completely ignored by motor scooters. the electric scooters just sneak up on you - stealth scooters. It is pretty bad if I notice the traffic - I drive in Boston every weekday. coming from the States, I was just so impressed at the antiquity in Rome, walking in the forum, seeing the coliseum. However, at the time of year we went the crowds were small. Don't know what it is like now. Have fun! I am envious!

Jay

Edited by Jay Lamsa

Yes I know something nice to explore. It is what a guy showed us back in the seventies, but I guess it is still there.

Put your ear close to the wall and whispers you shall hear - oh no wait let me start again. I forgot to say the guy was a guard in the famous St. Peter's cathedral in the state of Vatican, and the wall was the inside of the cupola, dizzying high above the flour and half way up to the dizzying top.

Put your ear close the wall, and I will whisper at the wall over there, he said and smiled and over he went, a quarter of the full round.

Ah do you know how dizzying big the cupola is, specially when someone whispers in your ear who is not here.

Squeezing yourself (yeah) further upstairs to the top is another adventure.

So keep your ears open and have a good trip !

Was in Rome this summer. What a delightful place! In addition to all of the usual places, be sure to call ahead (24 hours) for a reservation for the Borghese Gallery. It's a wonderful museum in a beautiful park.

The subway is very convenient, and there will probably be a PA player in the car at some point. Give her a nice tip!

With envy at the fun you're going to have,

Jeff Myers

P.S.--Outside the tourist areas, the food is better and cheaper.

I was in Rome a year and a half ago (also Orvieto, Perugia and Siena) with my concertina and found it very discouraging. Never saw another concertina or a musician of any stripe I might play with. People seemed to appreciate my playing, but it seemed like many had not seen one before.

I posted a report on the old forum (no pun intended) but it's inacessible now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Is nice so many of you went in Rome, if someone is planning another trip here I'll be more then glad to plan a meet, I'm not a skilled player at all, but you guy seems all so friendly I'll be happy to spent few ours togheter, walking on the forum, visiting again galleria borghese (I belive the best museum here), or anything else you may like!

I used to play the organetto (a Castagnari), but just sold it on ebay to start save money for a good concertina, so I've not an instrument in which I'm skilled to eventually play with you, but if you come with your concertina I'll be delight to watch you play.

Ciao

Dario