Looking For The Concertina Hornpipe

lildogturpy

On Sunday morning at the North-East Squeeze-In we played a tune called the Concertina Hornpipe - a great tune. I was warned it was hard to find the dots and on the ABC tunefinder there was no joy. At thesession.org I found a tune with the same title but different melody. If anyone knows of tunes called the concertina hornpipe I'd be greatful.

There's a version of the concertina hornpipe at the "So's your Mom" site.

Obviously I don't know if it was the tune you heard. It's in .nwc format. You need Noteworthy Composer to view it. You can get a free download and view, but not print it, or buy the fuller version, or perhaps one of the several NWC users on c.net may volunteer to print it for you. I'm going to attach the .nwc file in case someone is willing to do that.

Also, I have a version on paper in Breandan Breathnach's "Folk Music and Dances of Ireland". Failing all else, we can get that into my software, TablEdit, and output the dots and .abc. Let's see if anyone volunteers to Noteworthy it first, as they might be different anyway. No matter what, we still want to hear your story, Ken , assuming you meant the plural "you".

Concertina_Hornpipe.nwc

Edited by Stephen Mills

Well, here's the Breathnach version in a low-res .gif file, sized for printing. I got it from TablEdit into .abc, but my computer's going wacko and I can't test it, so I won't put it in the Tune-o-Tron quite yet. I'm not sure how to handle pickups in abc yet, anyway, so that the rest of that measure is not interpreted as rests. I looked it over for errors, but not compulsively, so if you try it and find something that sound gauche, let me know and I'll check it again.

The version of the So's your Mom site looks substantially different, from a quick look via the freebie version.

post-12-1095779005.gif

Edited by Stephen Mills

I came back asking the same question; it was a great sounding tune.

I found this one, and if I remember correctly it's close to what we played.

Give it a try and let me know.

X: 1

T: Concertina, The

M: 4/4

L: 1/8

R: hornpipe

K: Gmaj

|:D2|GABc defa|~g2 dc BG ~G2|FGAB cdec|BGAG ~F2 D2|

GABc defa|~g2 dc BG ~G2|FGAB cAGF|DGGF G2:|

|:Bc|d2 (3ed^c d=cBc|defa gedB|c2 cB ceag|fd ~d2 cAFA|

dB ~B2 dcBc|defa gedc|Bdgd cAGF|DGGF G2:|

The Concertina Hornpipe has been added to the Tune-o-Tron with the following comments:

Record ID: 581; Title: Concertina Hornpipe

(Entered by Sarah Gowan on Sep 21st, 2004, last modified on Sep 21st, 2004)

Creator Comments:

For those of you who requested Concertina Hornpipe at the Squeeze-In.

Thanks for a great time!

So, thanks, Sarah. This version is essentially the same as the Jim Besser version and the one from "So's your Mom", with the rhythm and ornamentation more written out in Sarah's version. The Breathnach version has some similarities and may represent an older version.

Edited by Stephen Mills