Oh, P.S.:

X:1
T:Distress
A:Anne Steele, 1760
M:4/4
L:1/4
Q:1/4=100
K:Em
| z2 [E2e2] | G2DF & e2B2 | H[e2B2G2] E2 | G [AF] [b2E2] | A2 G E/2D/2 & E2 B, B, | [E4e4] |
w: * * * * * So fades the love-ly bloom-ing_ flow'r,
w: * * * * * Is there no kind, no heal-ing_ art
w: * * * * * Let gen-tle pa-tience smile on_ pain,
[A2E2] [bD] [dD] | [e2E2] [e2A2] | [dG] [bG] ([A2E2] | [A2D2]) [G2D2] | [bG] [dF] [e2B2E2] |
w: Frail, smil-ing so-lace of an hour;_ So soon our tran-
w: To soothe the ang-uish of the heart?_ Spir-it of grace,
w: Till dy-ing hope re-vives a-gain;_ Hope wipes the tear
[d2G2D2] [bE] [GE] | [d2F2D2] E2 | G [AF] [b2E2] | A2 G E/2D/2 & E2 B, B, | [E4e4] |]
w: sient com-forts fly, And plea-sure on-ly blooms to_ die.
w: be ev-er nigh; Thy com-forts are not made to_ die.
w: from sor-row's eye, And faith points up-ward to the_ sky.

The Sacred Harp book has it written in four-part harmony, laid out on four separate staves. I printed off a page of staff paper from http://www.blanksheetmusic.net, and filled up most of it with scribbles and combinations of the different lines to see what I liked the best. I figured I probably wanted two different notes to harmonize most of the time, with an occasional third for flavor.

I eventually settled on playing the melody as written, along with the bass line taken up an octave, to form the core of the arrangement. I brought in other notes when I wanted to avoid parallel fifths or octaves, which don't sound very interesting in lumps.

The little tag between the verses I just wrote afterwards, to give it a little bit of space.