Concertinas At Witney 2004 (uk)

Well all this talk of squeezing in the North East (USA) has been quite interesting, but I'm surprised none of the European based players have been discussing Concertinas at Witney yet.

Only 9 days to the session in the Court Inn and 10 days to kick off!

For those that don't know the actual event is a lot more structured than the N E Squeeze in with each of us having to sign up to workshops on Saturday and Sunday some weeks before the event.

We have some fantastic tutors this year, for Engish, Duet and Anglo concertinas, and a great range of musical styles from dance music to classical to song accompaniment.

Tutors include Alistair Anderson, John Kirkpatrick, Dave Townsend among others, and not forgetting a regular contibutor to this forum - Stuart Estell.

So there we are - I can't wait.

Is anyone else going? Can anyone play the tunes yet for workshop A4?

Look forward to seeing some of you there?

regards,

Peter

I shall be there, along with ICA committee members, Gill Noppen-Spacie, Roger Gawley, Jon McNamara and Dave Bissitt. I have not had much time to practice the tunes yet. I must get down to it over the next week.

See you there.

Best wishes

John Wild

I am down to pester John Kirkpatrick both days, as he, for his sins, got me into concertinas.

DT ruled against it, but I fancied both days on Alistair Andersons courses, (who, also for his sins, got me into all things Northumbrian) but having seen the tunes, I play most of them on English anyway, so I think a weekend on Anglo chords will keep me occupied.

See you in the sesh Friday, where I am sure many of the standard English dance tunes (also C/G Anglo friendly) about to be published in the ICA music supplement for the ICA AGM ceilidh scratch band (non-attenders must still practise them!!), will be heard.

Tutors include Alistair Anderson, John Kirkpatrick, Dave Townsend among others, and not forgetting a regular contibutor to this forum - Stuart Estell.

To see this line up :o - and not a chance to make it there, life can be tough! :angry:

But enjoy it, you lucky, lucky folks attending! :D

Cheers

Claus

I am down to pester John Kirkpatrick both days, as he, for his sins, got me into concertinas.

Hi Geoff,

Looks like we will be in the same sessions. I've known of John Kirkpatrick for years but only really made the effort to see him "in concert" last year. What a nice bloke. Got chatting away to him at the interval about Morris dancing, "Father Ken" and concertinas - great stuff.

At Whitby Folk Week this year I went to an 80 minute workshop given by John. It was great - I wish I'd had the chance to have that workshop a year ago. I learnt more in those few minutes than from anything else I've done.

So I'm looking forward to next weekend - just hope I can learn the tunes in time, Sheringham Breakdown and the Prince of Wales' Jig are causing me a few problems at the moment!

all the best,

Peter

Edited by Peter Brook

I would love to go, but since I live in Australia the cost is quite inhibitive. I am hoping to save up and go next year.

After the event I would love to hear from participants - particularly those that attend Alistair Anderson and Dave Townsend sessions.

Do you get sent the music when you register?

Yup! I'll be there from Friday. I've booked late into DT's classical session and AA's Northumbrian tunes next day and as a consequence, I've really struggled to find somewhere to stay. I ended up with a choice of either a B&B 14 miles away or the Travel Lodge in Swindon before I found I was losing the will to live or ring around anymore, so I've decided to kip out in the back of my van. Come and join me to see how many box players we can squeeze in for the squeeze-in record for a Citroen Berlingo Box!

And yes Nanette, the music is sent out a few weeks before the weekend, I think it's done to scare us all silly (certainly worked with me); my music's arrived and so I'm sweating just a little to get my fingers round (any of) it.

See you all on Friday down the Court,

Jill

I shall be there, with Stuart on Saturday and John K on Sunday doing all the things I haven't done in 40 years of playing Anglo! (And Ann - with John on Saturday and Jenny on Sunday)

John's tuines for A4 aren't bad, you know! At least on an Anglo. Try Goddesses in G minor transposing from dots in E minor for B4! (I've cheated and printed out a transposition with Noteworthy)

We'll try to get into the Court on Friday

Nick Oliver

so I've decided to kip out in the back of my van. Come and join me to see how many box players we can squeeze in for the squeeze-in record for a Citroen Berlingo Box!

There are usually a number of camper vans in the school car park, so you will not be alone. You could organise your own all night party.

I will be going to Alistair Anderson's group on Saturday, and David Cornell's duet group on Sunday (sorry, David, I expect to be very ill-prepared in terms of practice hours before the event)

See you there.

- John

PS The ICA is hoping the next issue of Concertina World will be available for members to collect while we are there.