Resonator Material

Has anyone a suggestion of a good material to make the resonator from that fits under the end plates. Generally when I repair concertinas they are either without the resonator, or it is in pretty poor condition. But at the moment I have completed repair on a 38 button metal ended Lachenal Bb/F and the notes are hard on the ears in the higher harmonics (a dying crow would be a good metaphor for some of them). A good resonator may make it a bit more mellow, and save me from hearing aids in a few years down the road.

David,

I guess you are refering to what people here call a 'Baffle' ?

It would appear that ,generally, only the very early concertinas had much in the way of a Baffle fitted originally. Perhaps this could be an observation made after many a Baffle had been removed by earlier owners seeking to make more noise.

If you search the word 'baffle' you should find several topics that cover the subject here on Cnet.

However, a wad of Cotton wool in the ears is the quickest, and cheapest, method.

Thank you Geoff, I have just now looked up the topics -- now i know resonators are baffles! Very helpful. I might experiment with fabric stiffened with semi-gloss lacquer, but the cotton wool has some promise, indeed there would be lots of things quietened, "What was that you were saying Dear ...?"