Crabb C/G 30 Button Concertina

ben

I have listed a Crabb C/G 30 button concertina on ebay. The concertina has steel reeds set in brass frames...in a parallel style reepan. The action is rivited.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.ca/i...em=251214215711

The ends are "ebony", yes?

"Replacement bellows"... why was it replaced?

Wheatstone layout, or Jeffries?

From the serial number, I'm guessing it was built sometime in the 1950's, but I'll bet Geoff C. can tell us exactly.

Any chance of a sound file or two?

Thanks.

I have listed a Crabb C/G 30 button concertina on ebay. The concertina has steel reeds set in brass frames...in a parallel style reepan. The action is rivited.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.ca/i...em=251214215711

The ends are "ebony", yes?

"Replacement bellows"... why was it replaced?

Wheatstone layout, or Jeffries?

From the serial number, I'm guessing it was built sometime in the 1950's, but I'll bet Geoff C. can tell us exactly.

Any chance of a sound file or two?

Thanks.

Although available in this form from circa 1933 – mid 1950's, Crabb 10139 was made in 1947. The number 41 seen on the reed pan indicates that it was the 41st instrument in a batch of 110 Anglos exported to South Africa in that year.

Typical Crabb 20 and 30 button Anglos exported to South Africa.

No indication in the records but probably, to fall in line with Wheatstone exports the layout may also have been Wheatstone.

The black, stained & polished plywood ends, simple machine cut fretwork, 'Erinoid' unbushed buttons and an original 5 fold bellows reduced the manufacturing costs to meet the price requirement of the SA importer/dealer. However, no compromise was made in the production of the reeds, pan-work or action.

Based on the music style and direct orders received from individuals in SA, the 5 fold bellows certainly may have been too limiting and a general preference for the more suitable 7 or 8 fold bellows probably accounts for the current replacement bellows.

(Some of these instruments with metal, bushed buttons may be encountered but these are rare).

Geoffrey