20 button in d/g?

When you talk about a D/G two row remember that most would be G outer row and D inner.(And usually described as G/D) On a 3 row the G is middle row. To get what you want it might be better to have the C row of a C/G taken up to D and either leave the G to play like most along the row players do. I am planning to turn a C/G to D/A (see dan Worralll's comment on mullally)

If fiddlers etc played in C more we could all get along fine!

Edited by michael sam wild

To get what you want it might be better to have the C row of a C/G taken up to D and either leave the G to play like most along the row players do.

If I understand what you're suggesting I have to say I think that would not be a good idea for a number of reasons. For a start you would have to retune the C row up by a full tone and while that is do-able I don't think it's all that good for the reeds (especially if it was, like many C/Gs, a Bb/F that has already been tuned up once). Then you also end up with a non-standard layout with the rows just a fourth apart making chords on the left hand a struggle and the sort of double-z cross fingering and octave playing I was describing probably impossible. Finally you would have reduced the resale value of your instrument quite drastically.

My own philosophy is to regard the "core" 30 buttons as fairly sacrosanct. Muck about too much with them and you make it much more difficult for anyone else to pick up the concertina and play it - we are (as I have said before) only custodians of these things, not their owners and we owe a responsibility to future custodians and players. On the other hand, any buttons beyond the 30 I tend to regard as fair game since there is such huge variation in them already.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Does anyone know where I can find a left hand chord chart for a d/g is it just an question of using a c/ g chart and shifting everything a fourth?

deleted - just reread your request looking for a chord chart and not a button chart.

Ok, I will try again:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7063

Edited by Don Taylor