hi all! new to the box...

hi all! I'm still here, fingers feeling good, practicing away madly every day. I was this evening learning a reel called "The Lobster" which is taught as part of the OIAM free course. nice tune, but I am surprised that, unless it has another, more common name, there are no examples of it that I can find on the web. still, a nice tune and not all that complicated, though I admit I can't play it flawlessly yet. maybe tomorrow. :)

I think I like the concertina...alot.

hi all! I'm still here, fingers feeling good, practicing away madly every day. I was this evening learning a reel called "The Lobster" which is taught as part of the OIAM free course. nice tune, but I am surprised that, unless it has another, more common name, there are no examples of it that I can find on the web. still, a nice tune and not all that complicated, though I admit I can't play it flawlessly yet. maybe tomorrow. :)

I think I like the concertina...alot.

Is it this one http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/3495

Yep that's it. I found that yesterday myself. It's slightly different from how the oiam teacher plays it. That's all I could find the whole wide web. It isn't really that important. I was just curious to see how others approach it, maybe see some different ornamentation etc. :)

is a version played on flute - at first played slowly, then properly up-tempo...

Funny, I think I was searching for a hornpipe when I searched for that. Silly me, I knew it was a reel!

I wonder if the teacher on OIAM simplified it a bit for the benefit of the students.

Thanks! M

• 10 months later...

It's been nearly a year since I started, and thanks to all of your great advice, I am MUCH better now than when I started. (I have to admit I didn't follow it all to the letter, but...there ya go.) I bought a Morse Ceili. I started a slow session in my area, complete with "teachers" and "students". I go to the local session once every couple weeks. I can actually play 4 or 5 tunes up to speed. I didn't practice EVERY day, but pretty close to it. I attended the N.E. concertina workshop and met some great folks, and was taught by Chris Stevens and Flo Fahy. I love my Morse. Every day I thank the great spirit thingy for music. I have listened to Irish trad every day for this whole time.

Basically I met all of my goals for the first year. And I met alot of great people both online and locally, some of whom come to my house for the slow session every 2 weeks. It's not going to stop here!

Best to you all, Mark

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear an update. It was nice to meet you in-person at the Workshop.

My Ceili just arrived via UPS yesterday. I'm thrilled! Especially after playing the Rochelle for 4 months.

I've gone to a few slow sessions and do my best to muddle through and I can tell I am improving. Maybe I'll see you again next year at the Workshop. I'm sure we'll both be much more fluent by then.

Susan

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear an update. It was nice to meet you in-person at the Workshop.

My Ceili just arrived via UPS yesterday. I'm thrilled! Especially after playing the Rochelle for 4 months.

I've gone to a few slow sessions and do my best to muddle through and I can tell I am improving. Maybe I'll see you again next year at the Workshop. I'm sure we'll both be much more fluent by then.

Susan

ditto! and congrats!

Great to hear you have stuck at it . The key now is playing with others and making muisc together. The slow session is a real way to encourage each other. A lot of people play too fast anyway. I like playing along to Cds of older dance related musicians. You can always use the slowdowner facilities on the computer too. Nice work!