New Pinned thread

I recently asked Paul Schwartz if we could have a permanently pinned thread with the subject "Pictures of your concertina".

With the advent of this thread in the last couple of days he has agreed to do so. This means the thread will stay at the top of the thread list along with "Current makes of concertina".

Not sure if he will pin the current one or start another; my preference would be to pin this one but change its title to something more directly explanatory of the thread purpose. Perhaps "Pictures of your concertina", or "Your concertina photos", something with a noun pertaining to images in the title (apologies to the OP, nothing wrong with your title but the new one might be at the top of the thread list for years)

A big thanks to Paul for this, if like me you don't see many different concertinas year in and year out then this thread is a wonderful opportunity. There are space issues, but Paul has said he will cross that bridge when he gets to it.

Chris

I recently asked Paul Schwartz if we could have a permanently pinned thread with the subject "Pictures of your concertina".

There are space issues, but Paul has said he will cross that bridge when he gets to it.

I think it's worth noting that in that thread, two different methods have been used for posting photos.

1. Embedded image links: The source files for the images are not kept on the concertina.net server, but elsewhere... on flickr or Picasa or some similar service, or on a personal web domain. They don't take up space on the concertina.net server, but the image is passed through from the "off site" source.
  2. Attached images: The image files have been uploaded to concertina.net and so take up space on the concertina.net server, which Paul has to pay for.

There are other differences between the two methods that also should be considered.

1. An image file kept off site will disappear from the thread where it's posted if it is removed -- deliberately or inadvertently -- from its off-site server. This has happened from time to time with linked images in other threads, e.g., when an individual changed from using a flickr account to using a Picasa account for storing their personal photos. The only solution in such a situation is for the person who makes such a change to locate every post (good luck!) including one of their images and edit each and every image-URL (internet address) in each post to point to the new locations.

Linked images can be scaled to fit the screen, at least in some browsers, with just a click of the mouse, so that a very large image can easily be viewed in its entirety.

2. On-site ("attached") images don't disappear, but large ones eat up disk space, and even many small ones can add up quickly.

They also use that (relatively) new -- and to me quite annoying -- display technology, which seems to take forever to load an image and also seems to prevent scaling of large images to fit the screen. Want to see a large image in its entirety? Download it first to your own computer and view it there, outside of concertina.net. Want to "close" it? I don't understand the why or when, but I find that sometimes just clicking on the image will close it, but other times I have to scroll to the right and down to find and click on "CLOSE X". And that's at the bottom right of the displayed image, which may be a long way from the bottom right of the (unnecessary, IMO) black background.

Please note that I'm not campaigning for either method over the other. Both have disadvantages. I personally use the first method these days, because...

1. I long ago used up my space allotment for storing attachments on the concertina.net server
  2. I store the images I'm posting on my own domain, not on some commercial service, so I have full responsibility and control over both the space they occupy the stability of their location.
  3. As noted above, I consider the current display method for "attached" images to be annoying.

P.S. I'm posting this coment in this thread so that it won't clutter up the thread with the photos.