Gonna Learn Me Some Theory Now.

Aquarussell

A friend of mine who plays the Accordion has offered to teach me some music theory. I haven't found anyone local (San Diego California U.S.A.) to teach English Concertina, but I am SUCH a tyro that I feel anything will help. So, why post? I don't know, but I am excited by the opportunity. The local Community College courses seem to be directed very differently, toward learning Jazz, or the Piano.

Are there musical theory books I should use?

Thank you,

Russell Hedges

Here is another look at music theory, though not from a squeeze point of view.

I saw in a guitar shop recently a gadget called something like the Circle of fifths wheel, made of two plastic wheels that you rotate to get information about key signatures and the relationships between keys which looked useful ...

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Samantha

Thank you all for your help! I have been visiting the bookmarks listed, and I find there is a long climb ahead. That's the way it is!

In an odd sort of synchronicity, I was sitting in the park practicing when a voice asked "Are you from San diego?" I said yes, and was promptly invited to join the local Morris Dancers.

Not, mind you, based on any displayed skill of my own, but on the mere holding of a Concertina. This was a strange feeling for me, as I find I am usually the one doing the barely justified inviting of strangers to Friday Night Vintage Ballroom Class. Rag Time Two Step this week, Beginner Friendly and Free.

They are the Moreton Bay Fig Morris Dancers, named (I think) for a locally famous and popular tree in Balboa Park here in San Diego. I have always admired their stamina and determination.

See ya' here, and thanks again!

Russell Hedges